DSL connection speed being throttled back
tks1591

Can anyone tell me why my DSL connection speed is being trottled back.  I have the enhansed DSL plan, 1.2 Mbs to 3.0 Mbs.  My modem has been connecting at 3.3 Mbs since I signed up for DSL when it became available over a year ago.  I have had no connection or download problems in the time.  About a week ago I noticed the the speed had been reset to a maximum of 2.9 Mbs.  Yesteday, I see it has been reset again, to 2.5 Mbs.  I am being throttled back.  The line tech in this area, when he hooked my DSL up,  tells me that my phone line will support up 6 Mbs, there fore, 3 Mbs should be very stable.  This fustrates me, I am paying for a 3.0 Mbs connection.  Can anyone tell me who to contact to get my modem turned back up to 3 Mbs without having to deal with the automation and reps. in the support line?

Thanks for listening.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Oh, and, I am not new to computers or networking, I have fair idea how things work.

0 Likes
Re: DSL connection speed being throttled back
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at: http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem. For the last two weeks my speed has been no faster than half of my advertised speed. I'm subscribed to 1.5-3 mbps down and for three years I received speeds around 2.8 mbps. For the last two weeks I have been receiving speeds anywhere from 0.4 - 1.8. Steady state around 1.4 but spikes up to 1.8 and lags down to 0.4.

A verizon tech has already been out here and declared my modem (Westell 6100G) to be bad. He ordered a new (different) one for me. Of course that didn't prove to be any better. He is coming out sometime next week to change the port? 

I just ran a few tests on speedtest.net and nothing was over 1.7. I just ran four tests on verizon's speed test and it said nothing under 2.7. How can two speed tests give me completely different speeds? Oh, on top of the slow speeds, my connection constantly spikes/drops to the point where I can't even stream a simple youtube video...very frustrating. 

EDIT: verizon speed test now aligns with speedtest.net. 0.6 - 1.5 mpbs down. 

0 Likes
tks1591

Thanks for the reminder and the link.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tks1591 wrote:

Can anyone tell me why my DSL connection speed is being trottled back.  I have the enhansed DSL plan, 1.2 Mbs to 3.0 Mbs.  My modem has been connecting at 3.3 Mbs since I signed up for DSL when it became available over a year ago.  I have had no connection or download problems in the time.  About a week ago I noticed the the speed had been reset to a maximum of 2.9 Mbs.  Yesteday, I see it has been reset again, to 2.5 Mbs.  I am being throttled back.  The line tech in this area, when he hooked my DSL up,  tells me that my phone line will support up 6 Mbs, there fore, 3 Mbs should be very stable.  This fustrates me, I am paying for a 3.0 Mbs connection.  Can anyone tell me who to contact to get my modem turned back up to 3 Mbs without having to deal with the automation and reps. in the support line?

Thanks for listening.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Oh, and, I am not new to computers or networking, I have fair idea how things work.

If the speeds are decreased in the modem itself, not on "paper" via a speed test one of two things has happened (or both):

1: ASSIA Optmization ran on your line for some reason and decreased the speed. It has been well known to do this more often than not even on lines that are running well. There are times where it is seen to increase line speeds but it's often lower. I'm hoping this itself gets resolved in the future in favor of both Verizon and the consumer. It is a relatively new (!) system for Verizon in comparison to how long they ran without it in the past, setting profiles manually. If it was ran in the past, it was not as present as it is now.

2: Your line is seeing some sort of line issue that possibly developed over the course of time since you had gotten hooked up. It happens, and this is something Verizon usually has to fix but not always. If you can, supply some Transceiver Statistics for us to see so we can get a picture of how your line is running.

@VTspartacus: When you're running these tests, what speed is your modem reporting? I have a feeling you might be seeing Juniperitus or there's something else amiss.

0 Likes
tks1591

Well, I just finished up with tech support.  They could not or would not tell me why my modem was not connecting to the Verizon server at 3.0Mbs, which it had been doing since I signed up for DSL over a year ago.  My plan is the 1.1 -3.0Mbs, HSI enhanced.  They insisted that I was only paying for 1.5Mbs and that I was getting more than I was paying for.  Would this be true, the service you subscribe to, you are only paying for half of the plans max downstream rate?  Shouldn't the modem be connecting to the server at the max data rate if line conditions allow, which mine does.  Can anyone straighten me out on this?  If your plan is for 1.1Mbs to 3.0Mbs, aren't you paying for up to 3.0Mbs?  Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have the 1.1Mbps-3Mbps plan you have the "HSI Enhanced" plan which is technically anything from 1.1Mbps/384kbps down/up to 15Mbps/1Mbps down/up.

See my post above. Should provide some helpful info as to what is going on.

0 Likes
tks1591

Smith6612, thanks for your reply.

The second drop in downstream connection speed ocurred with 4 or 5 days of the first drop, from 2.9Mbs to 2.5Mbs, initial setup at 3.0Mbs.

You asked for the transciever statics, is this found on the modem network status under Gateway, Broadband connection?  If so it is currently showing 2525/856, which is probably not what your looking for, I guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was.  My modem is the Actiontec WT704-WG.

Speedtest.net is reporting Download at 1.87Mbs and Upload at .64Mbs.

Also, what is meant by Juniperitus other than a tree?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

On the ActionTecs it should be found under Status > DSL Status.

If you're getting that sort of speed and your connection is on ADSL2+ it sounds like you've been ASSIA'd. Someone with proper access to your line if Transceiver Statistics are in check will need to set your speed to what is appropriate for your line and also disable the optimizer.

Juniperitus is something that was coined over at DSLReports (the term). It's basically what happens when folks on a specific type of DSLAM (the device on the telephone company end that generates the DSL signal and passes data) and ATM switch (think: sort of like your router) is paired with a Juniper ERX BRAS (the edge router) on Verizon's end and causes speeds to be cut in half. Normally, this is a 1Mbps line seeing 500kbps, or 3Mbps seeing 1.5Mbps-1.7Mbps that is caused by re-transmits.

0 Likes
tks1591

Ok, found the Transciever Status,

VPI:  0

VCI:  35

DSL Mode Setting:  Auto

DSL Negotiated Mode:  ADSL2+

Connection Status:  Showtime

Speed (down/up):  2523 / 856 Kbs

ATM QoS class:  UBR

Output Power (Downstream/Upstream):  12.7 / 0.0 dBm