DSL connection stability.
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a 3 month old Actiontec GT784WNV modem. When it is connected I get between 6 and 7 Mbps which is fine. The problem I am having is I get disconnected many times throughout the day. I have recently done a few things on my end to help this. First I ran a shielded cat 5 twisted pair cable directly from the modem to the Verizon NID in the garage. Next I put ferrit chokes on all the power cables associated with my network. This has improved things but I still get disconnected. When checking the gateway status of the modem is says I have a SNR downstream of 8 db and upstream of 9 db. everything I read says anything below 10 SNR will cause problems. All other parameters seem to be within acceptable limits. Verizon says they have tested their lines and equipment and everything checks out. What more can I do to improve the situation?

0 Likes
Re: DSL connection stability.
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to add. I'm not looking to improve the speed as the distance between my house and the switching station is about 1 mile and that's probably pretty good speed for that.

What I am looking for is to be able to stream a program from Netflix or Hulu without having to reset the modem once or twice during the program. 

0 Likes
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't get any replies here so I asked the question on Tom's Hardware. So far the responces are saying that the SNR of below 10 is bad and will cause connection issues. Also that I have done everything on my end that I can. It's probably the old  Verizon copper phone lines that need replacing and because of that i'm probably out of luck.

0 Likes
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

SNR Downstream :
8 dB
SNR Upstream :
9 dB
Attenuation Downstream :
30 dB
Attenuation Upstream :
19 dB
Power Downstream
16 dBm
Power Upstream
11.9 dBm

0 Likes
nethead
Enthusiast - Level 3

long story short:
if you've called and complained to tech support multiple times and they've made no meaningful attempt at fixing the problem, and you have isolated the problem to beyond your demarcation point, you need to do the following:

1. file a better business bureau complaint
2. if you have line noise or phone outages, file a complaint to your state's public utility commission and also report the issues to Verizons telephone maintenance number. your state's PUC needs people like you to report when a utility refuses to do what they're supposed to, or else they can't provide oversight.

If all of the above fails, you could try reducing your package level to 3 or 5mbps - it is my understanding this can improve SNR. If that fails, you could try satellite. If you aren't gaming or using video/voice chat, the latency shouldn't bother you.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi tomearly,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes