DSL drops on incoming calls
ctmcmullen

Starting about 6 months ago my DSL service has become less and less reliable.  It now drops whenever there is an incoming phone call.  There is also static on the line during voice calls.  How to proceed?  I am experienced with networking and have already done all standard troubleshooting tests.  My modem is a Westell 7500.  There is no problem with the wireless connection.  The problem is that the DSL drops completely, as I can see by monitoring the modem

on http://192.168.1.1.  

The system log when the connection drops reads simply:

user.crit kernel: ADSL link down

Westell phase_hook PHASE=PHASE_TERMINATE(9()

and then it is unable to come up while the phone is in use:

Couldn't increase MTU to 1500...

ADSL G.994 training

QoS on ppp0 transitioning to Down state

etc...

[If there is a way to post a PDF file I can post the entire system log]

0 Likes
Re: DSL drops on incoming calls
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@CTMcM wrote:

Starting about 6 months ago my DSL service has become less and less reliable.  It now drops whenever there is an incoming phone call.  There is also static on the line during voice calls.  How to proceed?  I am experienced with networking and have already done all standard troubleshooting tests.  My modem is a Westell 7500.  There is no problem with the wireless connection.  The problem is that the DSL drops completely, as I can see by monitoring the modem

on http://192.168.1.1.  

The system log when the connection drops reads simply:

user.crit kernel: ADSL link down

Westell phase_hook PHASE=PHASE_TERMINATE(9()

and then it is unable to come up while the phone is in use:

Couldn't increase MTU to 1500...

ADSL G.994 training

QoS on ppp0 transitioning to Down state

etc...

[If there is a way to post a PDF file I can post the entire system log]

The combined drops and static sound like there's a filter issue. Have you checked/replaced the filters on your phone lines?

0 Likes
ctmcmullen

Yes, I have replaced the DSL filter.  I have only one phone connection in use.  Also, disconnecting the modem has no effect on the phone line static.   The DSL also drops spontaneously.  Dropping when there is an incoming call however is a more readily replicated problem.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Static is an indication of a physical issue. Since you're getting it with the DSL modem disconnected, it would be a good idea to first take a phone out to your NID with you to connect to the test jack. A modern NID should have a test jack present which disconnects your home's wiring while in use. If you still receive static, call Verizon's Voice Repair department and get a technician out to repair the line. It of course, never hurts to check your inside wiring too for corrosion, potential shorts in the wiring or jacks, and other wiring issues.

If you don't get static at the NID, then I would strongly suggest looking at each of your jacks inside of your home and ensure all cable ends are securely connected and are free of corrision on the backend of a jack.

Also, if your NID has a Half Ringer, they are known to go bad and cause similar issues. Sometimes they are the cause of the DSL connection dropping while your phone is ringing. You should be able to call Verizon out so they can remove the Half ringer from the circuit.

ctmcmullen

More info:  I have tried swapping the phone and modem to various different jacks.  Behavior is the same on all jacks.

I have also had a Verizon tech in to check out the line [a while ago]  -- no problems, inside or out.

Re:  DSL dropping, I did a careful experiment -- the modem drops 10 seconds after the phone is taken

off the cradle (w/o even dialing).  I.e. listening to the dial tone for 10 seconds causes the modem to drop

its DSL connection.   I tried with 2 different phones (one cordless, one not) and 2 different DSL filters.

The DSL speed and quality are very good while connected.  I have also had Verizon automatically check the line integrity recently and they reported no problems.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I edited my post above in case you may have missed it. You might have a bad half ringer in the mix. Definite check out at your NID first.

0 Likes
NID/Half ringer/ Diagnosis
ctmcmullen

I put both the phone & the modem directly into the NID using a line splitter.

This puts both lines prior to the Half-ringer if I understand correctly (it also disables all

others lines in the house).  Result was exactly the same -- 10 seconds of dial tone kills

the modem.

0 Likes
Re: NID/Half ringer/ Diagnosis
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is there also static on the line out at the NID or did that disappear?

0 Likes
Static still present
ctmcmullen

Yes, the static is the same.  Verizon gave me a run-around -- they said 

0 Likes
Verizon catch-22
ctmcmullen

Verizon repair said the dropped connection must be due to a problem with the physical line.  They then ran a remote test on the line and said it was fine.  Their conclusion:  since the line is fine, they cannot authorize a repair.  I repeated my problem and they insisted there is nothing they can do.

I am trying to get a supervisor to look into it further, but the response from Verizon is not promising.

0 Likes