DSL looses Internet connection
Wings51511

I have a GT784WNV DSL modem that looses Internet connection multiple times during the day.  The DSL light remains ON.  If I wait about 2-3 minutes, it returns on it own.  Rebooting does not change the failure rate.  This has been happening for at least a month and calling Verizon is a lost cause to resolve this problem.

Is there someone here that can provide a solution?

Regards,

wings5151

0 Likes
Re: DSL looses Internet connection
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other users here. 

You either have a failing modem or a issues on the line.  If it's the former, you can rectify by installing a new modem.  If it's the later, you need Verizon to work on their line.  My *guess* is it's the line.  If you can get another modem to test with, that will confirm.

If you want to reach Verizon, try their social media support team.  They're a bit more responsive then the front line support team.  You can reach them via @Verizonsupport on Twitter or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  Pick based on if you prefer to  tweet or post.  Both will go the same team, who will then open a private chat session to collect the details.

0 Likes
Wings51511

Thanks for the link, I'll try the post since I'm not a Twitter person.

Regards,

wings5151

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder if it a memory leak issue.

REF Actiontec GT784WNV router memory leak 

If it is:

#1 Get your own RJ-45 WAN port router if you do not have one already.

It can either be hardware based (lke Linksys E4200) or DIY.

That DIY NAT router could either be a pure DIY NAT router or a Linux/Unix distro designed for connection sharing (for example pfSense ).

And it could be...

a) ..Spare

b) ..New bought (HP/Dell, ETC..)

c) ..New built/assembled - (Buying the case, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HD, ETC..) typically by your self.

#2 Make sure that the WAN port of that separate router works.

#3 Put all of your computers behind the separate router.

#4 Put that modem combo into bridge mode.

#5 Profit 🙂

#6 (FFR) For Future REF if you decide to go this way, see How to get into a modem/router that is in bridge mode 

As to why that REF is useful, points to and quotes part of "DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband and Networking ->  Networking -> routed-bridge as option 2 get access 2 modem combo w/o true IP on it0"? My post on 2020-Jun-28 at 9:11 am

Direct Link https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32798538-

DSLR User mudtoe (#1274353)

Odd question here from someone just lurking on this thread who has put ISP equipment into bridge mode numerous times in order to avoid double natting to the customer's router. Question is, once it's in bridge mode, why would you need to access the router's management interface after that? As long as you can return it to router mode by using the reset button I guess I don't see the need. In all the times I've done that I don't think I've ever had to go back and touch that piece of equipment again as in bridge mode there really aren't any settings to tinker with.

Great question. See below vvv

said by Anon854d3 :
Even in bridge mode, the onboard management can by useful for showing you signal levels, negotiated speed, and atm packet error statistics.

As far as for DSL, I could of not said it better than myself.

For Cable, sort of the same thing. Meaning at least how strong the signal down the wire is. And note for Cable this is regardless if the cable modem can handle the true (public) IP Address or not.

^^

0 Likes