DSL modem causes AC line interference, I need a AC line filter.
stashgal
Enthusiast - Level 2

The DSL modem causes noise in my scanner from the AC line.I have no noise when running it on battery.

I need to find a AC line filter that will filter out the noise from the DSL modem, any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL modem causes AC line interference, I need a AC line filter.
stashgal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to the shack and got a choke filter and then to Ace hardware to get a 20F extension cord.

After some trials, I found the choke worked best on the power cord from the DSL modem and I plugged the scanner into the extension chord in another socket and that worked!

I can now surf the web and listen to the scanner at the same time.

Thank you for the help!  :^)

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a surge protector?

If not, go get one. This way, the AC will not cause interference with the DSL (or the DSL will not cause interference with the AC).

0 Likes
stashgal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I do have a surge protector and both the modem and the scanner are plugged into it.

It looks as though I'll have to get a very long extension cord to hook the scanner up to another outlet but I would rather use the outlet I have if I could find a filter that would filter out the line noise from the modem.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I found something at another site, that may help.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9895509

Your best bet is to put the interference generator on a powerline filter to minimize it's effect. You can find them at RadioShack and other places.

I hope that helps you..

0 Likes
stashgal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to the shack and got a choke filter and then to Ace hardware to get a 20F extension cord.

After some trials, I found the choke worked best on the power cord from the DSL modem and I plugged the scanner into the extension chord in another socket and that worked!

I can now surf the web and listen to the scanner at the same time.

Thank you for the help!  :^)