DSL network connection continually drops and reconnects with Westell 327w router and Windows
Krnkydude

Been having this problem for quite some time and have been trying to resolve it with Verizon techs all week. I have Verzon DSL using Westell A90-327w-15-06 wireless router that continuously drops the network connection then reconnects. Most times it goes unnoticed but you see the network dropping at the toolbar icon and when displayed.  Although the techs have ran tests on the line and the problem has been pushed higher for futher testing, they have reported all is well and won't send someone out. During one session while the tech was in netmeeting for updating software he was able to see the dropping but still closed the ticket because I could still get to internet.

STATS:

Westell A90-327w-15-06 wireless router

The speed shows 3360/864.

VCI = 35 PPPoE and Enabled

Software updated to version 4.04.03.00

trans rev=7.2.3.0 

Windows xp is wired

Wireless laptops Windows xp and Vista not affected

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0   Vendor ID Code: 4   Line Mode: G.DMT Mode   Data Path: Interleaved     Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864 Margin (dB) 14.0 10.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 36.5 19.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 14.4 11.8

Tested:

- router was reset, etc.numerous times per procedure

- wired a laptop to router (windows xp) and same dropping result

- I have switched out cables with same result.

- I did add a Dlink ethernet switch between router and computer using same cables and that fixed my problem. I mention that to the techs and had them put it in the ticket to show that maybe it's the strength of the signal that is not constant.

I don't have a better answer and I am not happy / no real closure.

Any similar problems with a better fix.

Message Edited by Krnkydude on 08-12-2008 03:31 PM
Message Edited by Krnkydude on 08-12-2008 03:32 PM
0 Likes
Re: DSL network connection continually drops and reconnects with Westell 327w router and Windows
gill

I have been experiencing the same for several months with no help from verizon, other than rebooting modem and/or computers.

they sent a tech once but of course everything was working fine,  it quit 10 minutes after they left, problems appears to be more prominent at night and weekends.

0 Likes
Re: DSL network connection continually drops and reconnects with Westell 327w router and Windows
nukefixer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Greetings,

This has had to me in the past, my solution I'm sorry to say, was to purchase a different model combo wireless router.

Gary

0 Likes
Krnkydude

An update / correction to the orriginal problem. With further testing, the wireless laptops were affected as well with the dropping of the connection. Because it is setup to reattatch automatically, I didn't really notice. I will update original with this info.

Thanks for the replies.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Have you tried a different DSL modem and computer to try and isolate where the trouble is coming from?
0 Likes
gill

Yes I bought an Actiontec GT724WGR, but was not able to get a dsl connection, everything worked fine on the LAN/ethernet, but not

on the WAN side, so it's on stand by at this time. I may go back to cable due to lack of support. It's fine to talk to someone but it's the same routine every time, ie: turn this off, reboot unplug, reset change computer etc.

The speed is great when it works, I tried to get info on the superspeed 7 meg, but I have not been able to contact the right office,

I get transferred from one to another

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If you are PPPoE you have to enter the Verizon user name and password into the new router. If you are DHCP you are MAC address bound and have to wait for the lease to expire or call Verizon to release it. I usually tell people to unplug the old modem before you go to bed and plug the new modem in when you wake up in the morning.
0 Likes
gill

Thanks Telcoguru

I am DHCP, thanks for telling me abt the MAC address I should have tought of it, but nowhere in the instruction manual, or tech support

mentionned it.

Will try that the next chance I have.

There is still hope to resolve this problem.

Gill

0 Likes
Krnkydude
The problem with the wireless connection dropping on the laptops has been corrected. I changed the channel from '6' to '11' and now the wireless is constant. It must be interference or other users in area on channel '6'. I saw this fix on another post.
0 Likes
LRB

What modem did you buy and did it solve the problem?

LRB 

0 Likes