DSL not available/FiOS not available in my area. I HAD IT BEFORE!
JoeScuba
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used to have Verizon DSL, switched to cable, want to come back.  I'm being told I can't get DSL or FiOS in my area now.

WHY NOT?

I'd really like to hear from Verizon on this.  I did speak to a customer support representative last night, but she was unable to answer my questions.

0 Likes
Re: DSL not available/FiOS not available in my area. I HAD IT BEFORE!
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, this is a peer to peer support forum. To speak with Verizon, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page.

0 Likes
JoeScuba
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried emails and phone calls, but nobody else anywhere can tell me why I can no longer have internet access.  Perhaps someone is in a smiliar situation?

It is also not uncommon for someone from the supporting business (in this case, Verizon) to monitor the community forums and provide answers that perhaps other customers cannot.  (See AT&T Community Fourms).  I had hoped that would be the case here as well.

Am I wrong?

0 Likes
cyndie10301

I had the Dry Loop DSL for two years and last Friday, Verizon disconnected me with no notice and I have no idea why.  An hour on the phone with them and all they could tell me was a Disconnect Order had been put through but no one knows who did it or why.  Now as I was coming here just now, I was on the main page where the offers scroll across and every one of them was marked "Not Available".  I wonder if Verizon is just walking away from some markets.  Even the bundled DSL and phone line was marked "Not Available" even though I had the DSL/Phone line for ages until I went to the Dry Loop 2 years ago.  

What's up, Verizon?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Either Verizon's out of capacity for DSL service in your immediate area, they've deemed the copper as incapable of supporting DSL anymore or there's a database screw-up. Ask the sales rep when you're speaking to them on the phone to place a ticket in to the local engineering manager/department for your area to qualify you. If they cannot quality you he should be able to explain why.

0 Likes
JoeScuba
Enthusiast - Level 2

I asked to speake with someone in engineering or technical support, and I was told they wouldn't be able to help me.  Not much 'customer service' from Verizon.  That was after about 45 minutes of wading through automated menu systems, of course.

If any one of those three reasons is why I can't get back the DSL service I used to have, why don't they just come out and say that?  Why is everything such a guessing game?

0 Likes
aframe

Anyone have any answers on this?  I'm somewhat in the same boat.  My phone and DSL service (both of which have been active for years) ended up being disconnected for a couple of months due to some financial difficulty and then recently reestablished my landline voice service.  However, when trying to sign up for DSL service either by phone or on the website, they keep on telling me it's not available in my area when it was active just mere months ago.  I don't want to switch to FiOS due to aforementioned financial issues and need at least something faster than dial-up for Internet and something economical, which Verizon DSL was for years until this snag.  Please help someone...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@aframe wrote:

Anyone have any answers on this?  I'm somewhat in the same boat.  My phone and DSL service (both of which have been active for years) ended up being disconnected for a couple of months due to some financial difficulty and then recently reestablished my landline voice service.  However, when trying to sign up for DSL service either by phone or on the website, they keep on telling me it's not available in my area when it was active just mere months ago.  I don't want to switch to FiOS due to aforementioned financial issues and need at least something faster than dial-up for Internet and something economical, which Verizon DSL was for years until this snag.  Please help someone...

You may want to try DSLExtreme if you have FiOS in the area. They sell DSL services over Verizon's copper plant, but if they say it's available Verizon has to hook you up. I don't believe Verizon can say no to DSL from a CLEC, but be aware you may need to also port your phone service to DSLExtreme as well or you'll have to get hooked up with a dry loop which costs a little more a month.

0 Likes
irispatchmr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I already tried  to   get  DSL  thru another provider   but Verizon refused them access  to  my  lines   and  like  anyone  else who   does not  live  in  the inner city  FIOS  is  never goingto be provided.     AT7T  no  longer procided DSL  to  my area    VErizon  is the only  one but   I figure  once you  drop  it  they refuse to  let you  have  it back.     I am  thinbking  AT&T  no contract  USB   wireless  is the only  option  left  to  me. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon can't refuse access to a CLEC for telephone service, but keep in mind DSL service is unregulated so DSL service can be refused in that sense. The trick here may be to get Telephone service through a CLEC who also offers DSL as a DLEC. Once your line is hooked up and number is ported, then order DSL. Verizon may still refuse access but then you have more weight to throw around, especially if you come out of the CO and your provider has co-located DSLAMs in the office and technically, Verizon cannot take away your copper loop if they offer something such as FiOS or VoLTE in the future. With a CLEC, Verizon can get into some serious trouble if they are refusing access to a competing voice provider. DSL? Not so much. If you're on a remote terminal though you may be out of luck with getting DSL though. You can complain and get Verizon to work with you but ideally they should be providing a reason as to why you are not able to get DSL.

I would push for DSL before considering any sort of Wireless service, to be honest. Wireless services do not grow for the future as well as they should. DSL, while it is handicapped in speed still continues to be cheaper and pushes far more data in the long run (I know this because my line is close to 500GB of data usage this month!).

0 Likes