DSL outage during the night
clinenet
DSL Inactivity Problem

Description: Unable to access the internet with web browser or ping command. The problem starts approximately at 8:00pm and does not end until approximately 7:00am the next day. This occurs majority of the nights during the week. Static on the telephone line is either not there or very very small to the point where my ears do not detect it. The READY light on the DSL modem blinks at random times through out the night. Even with the READY light on and not blinky, there is no access to the internet.  

Equipment:
Westell WireSpeed Model B90-210015-04 Rev. F
DLink 2310 Router
Two PCs: One uses Linux the other uses WindowsXP

Measures Tried to Get Access to the Internet.

Ping Tests:
Pinged router to make sure the connection to router from PC is good. This checked out fine.

Pinged www.google.com. If READY light is not blinky but is on, pinging works sporadically with much packet loss. If READY light is blinking, then pinging fails.

Pinged 64.233.167.99 (www.google.com). If READY light is not blinky but is on, pinging works sporadically with much packet loss. If READY light is blinking, then pinging fails.

Shutdown Test:
Turning of DSL modem, router and PC for a short while then turning items back on in the order of DSL Modem, Router and then PC does not bring back access to the internet during the inactivity times.

Disconnect All Devices:
Disconnecting all phones and other devices then performing a Shutdown Test does not bring back access to the internet during the inactivity times.

I have tried to access the modem stats using http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm but nothing happens. Does my modem support this feature?

Any suggestions as to what cuases this and how to fix it?
0 Likes
Re: DSL outage during the night
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If I were you I would take the router out of the equation and just use the DSL modem only. See if you get disconnected at the same time. If you don't than it is the router. If you do than you need to do further investigation.
0 Likes