DSL problems in Richmond, VA?
julesagogo

Hi - several weeks ago my DSL (Westell 6100 modem and D-Link Wireless Router since 2006 baby) started acting up - DSL light blinking but no internet light.  Nothing changed (no new devices, I don't have a land line, etc.).  I would reboot the modem and it appeared to correct itself, until last week when I was unable to get it to work with a Mac attached to it directly with a new short ethernet cable and new short phone cable.  They determined it was an outage and it was out a good day and a half, then came on.

Now it's starting again with the "works after rebooting the modem" business.

Anyone else in RVA having a similar problem?  Anyone else in RVA have DSL? Smiley Wink

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: DSL problems in Richmond, VA?
purr4

Their is a known problem with that router. Replace it with a different model. Would Suggest a Zoom model router. They are about 4X faster and more repliable than a Westell brand router.

You can get them on E-bay, or at most staples, Office Max, Best Buy or on line vendors.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can say otherwise. I have a 7 year old Westell 6100 here. Bridged mode and it kicks butt. The Westell gear is quite reliable. It's the software that can make or break it.

If your DSL light is flashing, see if you can get the modem to synchronize (Solid DSL light) at your NID. If not, get Verizon out to repair your service. As you don't have a landline it makes it more difficult to tell if it's just a DSL issue or if it's a copper issue. See this FAQ for testing at the NID: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes
RRzepka
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same problem in Springfield, VA earlier this week.   Last weekend, everything was fine.    Since Monday, no Internet light.  No changes, same computer, same Westell 6100 modem.

Verizon tech is scheduled to come out on Monday.

0 Likes