DSL slow during primetime, Verizon server overloaded?
socalbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on the 3Mbs/767Kbs plan using DHCP logon.  My DSL is very slow during evening hours.  Around 8PM, it's usually in the 800Kbs range.  It get better at later hour but I usually don't hit the full 3Mbs download speed until well pass 11PM.  In other hours, my speed is the full 3Mbs so it's not a computer setup issue.  This really sucks because I usually only use the computer in the evening, right when my service is slow.  I know this problem is common for cable modem user but why is it happening to DSL service?  Is it because Verizon overloaded their server?  What can they do for me if I call and complain?

0 Likes
Re: DSL slow during primetime, Verizon server overloaded?
socalbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, did some hreading and found a on going issue with G4-0-0-2262.LSANCA-LCR-12.verizon-gni.net router.  Sounds like enough people are complaining about it over at the Fios forum already.  I guess I'll just wait and see if they can fix it. 

The bright side of this is I can ignor all the Fios upgrade flyers now.

0 Likes
BusymanZ

I have exactly the same problems.  During the day, I have nearly 3 Mbps speed, but in the evenings, I drop to below 500k download.  Anyone know what the solution is?  A real problem.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@socalbob wrote:

Okay, did some hreading and found a on going issue with G4-0-0-2262.LSANCA-LCR-12.verizon-gni.net router.  Sounds like enough people are complaining about it over at the Fios forum already.  I guess I'll just wait and see if they can fix it. 

The bright side of this is I can ignor all the Fios upgrade flyers now.

The problem with G4-0-0-2262.LSANCA-LCR-12.verizon-gni.net was resolved already. They are just monitoring it at the moment. Unlike Fios, DSL is a shared bandwidth and will slow down during peak hours. Shared bandwidth means that they have X amount of bandwidth available to a certain area. That bandwidth is usually shared by 30-60 customers in that area. So for example. Lets say the DSL has 30Mbs bandwidth to your neighborhood and lets say that there are 30 customers in your area. If all 30 are on at the same time, each person will only be getting 1Mbs. By the same thought, if there were 60 customers and all of them were online, you would only get .5 Mbs each. DSL is one of those programs that are "up to" speeds. So if you pay for 3Mbs your speed is capped at 3Mbs so you cant get more than that. But that does not mean that you will see 3Mbs it just means you could get 3Mbs if all the conditions are perfect.

Now if you think you may be having network problem causing your slowdown. Run a tracert and see what it looks like.

from the command prompt type

tracert  www.google.com

Then post the results here. That would give an idication as to whether you are getting a slow down because of too many people online at the same time, or a slowdown due to a problem with a Verizon router somewhere.

socalbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

...DSL is a shared bandwidth and will slow down during peak hours...

What you describe is cable modem service.  Their coax facility is share by all subscribers within a neighborhood.  When everyone jump online, they max out the coaxial cable bandwidth and everyone slow to a crowl.  DSL is dedicated service.  DSL line wire directly into a dslam in verizon CO.  The only thing I'm sharing with my neighbor is the capacity of Verizon's network.  By that token, Fios is a shared bandwidth service too because subscriber ultimately compete for router's bandwidth.
I finally contacted Verizon this evening.  Live chat session ended with the rep suggest I ditch my inline filter and plug modem directly into the wall.  Voice tech support say they will look into moving me to another backbone but have to do something in the next 24hr first.  Sounds like they will dispatch it into the central office tomorrow.  Sounds promising, I hope they can resolve this issue.

maxpowers87

I've been experiencing the same problems for a few months now. It seems Verizon has now pushed well beyond capacity here in Oregon. At first it was a twinge of slowdown, but now bandwidth is hit pretty hard during peak hours and I'm crawling at around 300-800k in the evenings. The tech arrived this afternoon and all appeared normal, of course. The ticket is still open and hopefully the CO can switch me to a less crowded server. Although this may not help, it looks to me that Verizon is not properly maintaining its DSL service. I am interested to know how it has worked out for you down in California. As for me, I'll keep you posted.

0 Likes
PaulW1

Another Oregonian (and Silverton resident) having same issues here at evenings and Weekends.  It was fine until a couple months ago.  On the 5mbs plan, everything's great during the day, but drops to near dial-up speed at evenings.  Tech suggested it was due to my distance from the office (around 10,000'), and that lowering my plan to the 3mbs will help.  We shall see, but I'm not holding my breath.   Maxpowers, you hear of any other Silverton residents having the same issues?

0 Likes
sixstringbaker

@socalbob:

Any luck yet? We're in Covina, same issues: normal days, slow evenings. We have a 7Mb plan and have been seeing 1-1.5Mb most evenings for at least a month. Verizon, are you listening/reading?

0 Likes
BusymanZ

After about an hour on the telephone with Verizon High Speed Internet Support last week, I was escalated to a supervisor that tested my line.  I explained that it was only happening in the evenings after about 4pm or so.  She understood and decide to send out a tech to my home in Alta Loma, CA to test my wiring.  I knew there were no issues with my home wiring, DSL modem or computers.  

The tech was very pleasant and confirmed I had 3mb download and 768k upload speed at the time of his testing.  He stated that my line could reach 5.8 mb download maximum.  He did his Verizon Speed Test and Ping Test to test the quality of the line.  He contacted Support and spoke to a technician to test my line again.  The tech came back and said my DSL line was "reaching capacity" and the support tech on the telephone changed me to a new circuit.   I have a new IP address.  I rebooted my modem and router and the service tech ran speed and ping tests.  All went very fine.

Tonight, I have full 2.95 mb download and 740k upload as advertised at matches my daytime internet speeds.  Much happier now.   I tested several times during the evening, approximately each hour and I had good speed.

Verizon Tech used:  http://www.speedtest.net/  to test my line and Verizon Ping Test.

This may have solved my current issues or at least until my current circuit "reaches capacity".

I hope everyone has a similar resolution!

0 Likes
MSnitz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wonder if some of the complaints about slow DSL service is due to the use of Verizon's speed test.  For example, the last few nights, Verizon's speed test indicates a download speed of 441Kbps, 335Kbps and 196Kbps (my DSL service is supposed to be 768Kbps).  At the same time, a speed test using PitStop and several other sites indicate speed tests of 738Kbps, 739Kbps and 740Kbps.  So, maybe the problem lies in Verizon's speed test itself.  I realize there are many factors that determine bandwidth, but these differences don't seem reasonable.

0 Likes