DSL slow.
Sullear
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had my DSL for nearly a year now.  I am paying for 1.5-3 down...yet I barely hit 1.5 on a good day.  Tell me what info you need and wehre I can find it and I will gladly provide it for you guys.

I figured by now the sales rep lied(told me I would be upgraded to 3Mb within a year) to me so I want to see what I can do to improve my connection.  Right now all I have hooked up is the Westell 7500 taht Verizon provided me, a dedicated line specifically jsut for the DSL modem.  Nothing else is connected in the house that could interfere that I am aware of.

Tell me what information you need and where I can get it for you.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: DSL slow.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Log into the modem at http://192.168.1.1/

#2 Choose System Monitoring in the navigation, Advanced Monitors from the Left Hand Side Navigation and then choose System Logging. Post up the contents of the "All" log, either via pastebin.com or via Copy and Paste (Pastebin is preferred since it helps to keep the thread tidy looking). Additionally, post up your modem's Transceiver Statistics (found in the Advanced Monitors section as well) which you can Copy and Paste into the post here.

* -> If you need a Username and Password, try:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

0 Likes
Sullear
Enthusiast - Level 2

System Logging(All):

http://pastebin.com/G8gVZXNj

Transciever Statistics:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3492/transstats.jpg

Let me know if there is anything else I can get for information to help.

Keep in mind...every single speedtest.net and dsl speed test I do comes up just shy of 1.5 down and 384 up.  I have NEVER had anything higher than that one a GOOD day.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like your DSL line is in fact provisioned at the 1.5Mbps provisioning, which should give you ~1532kbps download, 360kbps upload. The lower speeds that you're getting could be from anything, which we can check in a minute though. One thing I can point out is that the DSL line itself can physically support some more speed. Specifically, it can support an "Optimized" flavor of the 3Mbps package which should give you roughly 2200kbps download, and 500kbps upload. If the line continues to run well at that point, you could probably be pushed to the full 3Mbps speed, but there's no guarantees on that at your distance, as it's all dependant on the line margins and stability.

Anyhow, go to http://lg.dreamhost.com/ and perform a trace route to your connection. When you visit the site, you'll see your IP address filled into the Trace box, and a checkbox next to an option that says "ICMP." Check the box for ICMP since it tends to be more reliable, and then click Trace. When the trace completes, your connection should be the final hop. If it times out (shows stars) starting at a certain point, it could be from anything, though what I'm really looking for is before the hop where it shows your connection, if you see a hop that has the name "ERX" in it.

Additionally besides the Trace Route, it would be nice to know if your speeds vary only during the night time hours, or if they are varied regardless of what time of the day it is.

Sullear
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I am online virtually all times of the day, oddly, my speeds are consistant.  I don't normally see any reduction in speeds.  And with your comment that I am set at 1.5 Mbps tells me that yet again I was lied to by the salesperson.  He told me my line could support 3 Mbps.

Here is the traceroute you suggested I do:

traceroute to pool-{edited for privacy}.phlapa.east.verizon.net ({edited for privacy}), 30 hops max, 46 byte packets
 1  ip-66-33-193-1 (66.33.193.1)  38.492 ms  153.467 ms  1.563 ms
 2  ip-66-33-201-113 (66.33.201.113)  0.513 ms  0.308 ms  0.540 ms
 3  te1-8.na41.b001202-4.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.20.217)  0.440 ms  0.492 ms  0.556 ms
 4  vl3586.mpd03.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com (38.20.51.189)  0.586 ms  0.484 ms  0.422 ms
 5  te0-0-0-6.ccr22.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.28.145)  0.828 ms  0.505 ms  0.631 ms
 6  te8-3.ccr02.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.29.202)  0.574 ms  0.541 ms  0.595 ms
 7  uunet.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.13.86)  0.375 ms  0.526 ms  0.379 ms
 8  0.ge-1-3-0.LAX01-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (152.63.112.2)  1.136 ms  1.277 ms  1.085 ms
 9  P15-0.PHLAPA-LCR-05.verizon-gni.net (130.81.28.159)  75.932 ms  75.982 ms  76.025 ms
10  P1-0.PHLAPA-PHLAPAMK-ERXG08.verizon-gni.net (130.81.45.127)  79.730 ms  79.580 ms  79.633 ms
11  pool-{edited for privacy}.phlapa.east.verizon.net ({edited for privacy})  109.592 ms  110.715 ms  110.107 ms
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe the Salesperson intended to lie to you at all, as I mentioend above, the line does seem capable of supporting the 3Mbps rates despite the fact that it might push the line too hard. When it comes down to it however, it really is up to the people in the CO/engineering who have information on the copper plant in your area to determine the speed you're set at. Your attenuation is suggesting your line to be a little over 14,000ft long using the DS Value * 250 as an estimate, and from what I know Verizon generally determines speed based on distance over line quality as being the first factor. Once the DSL is hooked up, if the line is unstable which they can see, the speed is lowered. Once it's lowered or Verizon mentions that a higher speed cannot be set, it's rather hard to get the speed pushed higher, even if a tech says it can go higher without issues. It's something I see all the time with the 1.5-3Mbps package, where some lines cannot hold the full 3Mbps sync rate but can hold the sync rate Verizon's Optimization system puts in (which is a speed halfway between the speeds the 1.5Mbps and 3Mbps provisioning rates offers), but are unfortunately not set to the speed.

As for the trace route, it shows exactly what I'm looking for. The varied speeds you see isn't an uncommon issue, and is more than likely due to the fact that you are on a Juniper ERX Edge router which is located on Verizon's end between the Core network and the backbones. In many areas, Verizon uses Lucent ATM switches (which often times head to remote DSLAMs) which are incompatible with the Juniper ERX routers but were with the older Redback edge routers which have been slowly taken out of service. This causes transfer rates on only the downstream to drop, due to the amount of retransmissions the incompatibility causes. UDP data can be hit or miss, but the trick to work around this incompatibility is rather crude and doesn't work with Windows Vista or Windows 7, and it isn't something that would be ideal either.

The only thing the trace might be suggesting though is between the Juniper ERX and your connection a little bit of latency occurring, but I've seen a few times where ADSL2+ lines tend to misreport the line being on FastPath or Interleaved mode. Your latencies are consistent and look like an Interleaved line, but only a trace from your PC to a site such as Google will give a better idea. A reverse trace route (what you posted up) will also work if the latency jump is consistent during a time where no one should really be tying up anything, such as at 7-8 in the morning.