DSL speeds in my area
ted00
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded to Verizon high speed internet enhanced which is supposed to have download speeds around

3 Mbps. After the upgrade, I was still only getting download speeds of about 0.94 Mbps.  I contacted customer service and they thought the router/modem might be a problem, so they sent me an updated one.  That didn't fix the issue though and I contacted customer service again.  Now I found out that Verizon dsl speeds in my area cannot handle more than 1.5 Mbps cause of congestion.  That sounds kinda ridiculous that I can't get any faster speeds than that?  Could someone explain in a little more detail about the congestion topic and is this common for others with Verizon concerning the low speeds where you live?

Re: DSL speeds in my area
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2
Sounds like they've oversold your area. The central office (CO) or remote terminal (RT) you're on has too many people for the bandwidth coming in to it. Rather than increasing that, Verizon caps people's speeds at a certain level so as to not overwhelm the equipment.

Or they could just be feeding you a line and really your line can't handle anything because you're pretty far from the CO/RT. DSL is limited by distance, and the farther away you are, the less likely you'll get a fast speed. (The signal degrades at long distances, and will only be stable at lower speeds. They give you a maximum so that the service will be reliable.)
0 Likes
Re: DSL speeds in my area
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What modem are you using now, and what do you have handy? Need to see if some line stats can tell us what the problem is.

0 Likes