Do I have any chance of getting Verizon High Speed Internet
Beachbumz

I currently use Verizon for my home and cell phone provider.  I live in a rural area where the only internet connection available other than dial-up is satellite which I have through Hughes. The satellite connection has never been much better than dial-up and the price is considerably more than other services.

When I check my phone number on the availabilty of Verizon High Speed Internet it comes back as being unavailable. I understand that one of the limitations is the 18,000 foot distance from a switching station.  I have checked and I am approximately 15,000 feet from a station. Now I know there are probably more limitations other than distance that effect the service.  But is there even a slim possibility of Verizon providing the service and equipment to see if it would work at my location? Figured it wouldn't hurt to try but not sure what they would allow.  Anybody have any experience with a similar situation.

0 Likes
Re: Do I have any chance of getting Verizon High Speed Internet
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
The first factor you already have licked.  Distance...However the real question is...Does your office even supply Dsl to your Town?  If the Central office is not wired for it, then there is no way you will recieve it.  If Dsl is in your area then you will have to find a way to get the engineers involved.
0 Likes
Beachbumz

Provider7...

Yes, DSL is in the area. My mother-in-law who lives between my house and the office receives mailings saying she can receive Verizon High Speed internet.  I have also checked a few other residences nearer to mine and they can receive it.  I don't actually know if the people have it I just used their phone numbers to check for availabilty on the Verizon web site.

You mentioned that I would have to find a way to get the engineers involved.  Any idea how I would go about doing that and what could they do?  I guess calling Verizon would do me no good.  Would they just take whatever their system says based on my phone number and not go any further.  I am sure they probably have people all the time asking "to just give it a try" and then it doesn't work.  And I guess I could very well be one also.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

You mentioned that I would have to find a way to get the engineers involved.  Any idea how I would go about doing that and what could they do?  I guess calling Verizon would do me no good.  Would they just take whatever their system says based on my phone number and not go any further.  I am sure they probably have people all the time asking "to just give it a try" and then it doesn't work.  And I guess I could very well be one also.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hey Beachbum,

Having Dsl in the area is a good start.  Now let me touch on the distance.  The distance isn't so much directly from your home to our office.  It's how the cable is run from the office to you home...meaning it is the distance of cable length between the 2 points.

Getting ahold of an engineer from your end is not possible.  However you might be able to fanangle a way...Call in a repair on your line...static.  WHen the tech arrives let him know why you summoned him.  He should be able to tell you if you will qualify, and may get the information to the engineer for you.

What we run into around here is: Sometimes the data base may indicate that your line is too far from the office when you really aren't.   If you qualify, the engineer can update the information to show that you qualify.  Then it's just a matter of ordering the service.

0 Likes
Beachbumz
Thanks for the information Provider7.  I will try to get a tech out and see what they can tell me.  Hopefully their database is incorrect and I am within the distance needed.  Wiil follow up with the outcome. 
0 Likes