Downloading movies from Netflix
bethanycarol
I have a Netflix service and would like to download to my Tivo.  I have signed in all the right places and when I try the process Netflix says its downloading but the picture turns gray and nothing happens.  Does anyone know what the problem is?  Verizon tech support doesn't know and suggests I buy their premium service.
Message Edited by bethanycarol on 04-03-2009 08:10 PM
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Downloading movies from Netflix
prisaz
Legend

Netflix streaming is very bandwidth intensive and may not work over DSL. There are a number of internet postings regarding streaming movies from Netflix. A 1.5mbps connection is well below DVD and 3mbps is DVD so I have read. Here is an article that discusses it.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8627.ars

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Downloading movies from Netflix
prisaz
Legend

Netflix streaming is very bandwidth intensive and may not work over DSL. There are a number of internet postings regarding streaming movies from Netflix. A 1.5mbps connection is well below DVD and 3mbps is DVD so I have read. Here is an article that discusses it.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8627.ars

0 Likes
Netflix Problem
bethanycarol
Thanks for the response.  That makes perfect sense.  If only Verizon had shared that info.  I guess I'll give up on the process for the time being.  
0 Likes
Re: Netflix Problem
hjason7812

that is not true i have a 1.5mbps speed dsl and i get fine picture quality. but then again i have a hd gpu. so it might be because of that.

but i hardly every have any problems watching movies on netflix.

i even have a ps3 and not much problems downloading movies from there either. or online play so i guess it might be the wires that are your problem

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@hjason7812 wrote:

that is not true i have a 1.5mbps speed dsl and i get fine picture quality. but then again i have a hd gpu. so it might be because of that.

but i hardly every have any problems watching movies on netflix.

i even have a ps3 and not much problems downloading movies from there either. or online play so i guess it might be the wires that are your problem

That is good to hear. I based my post on information read online regarding required bandwidth for streaming video. Perhaps the technology has improved. Yes PC hardware could be a big factor when handling compression. In the past when I had DSL at 1.5 the compression artifacts where just unacceptable.
0 Likes
bethanycarol
Can you tell me how I can go about changing my system so that I can receive movies?  You said you had a' hd gpu' and I don't know what that is.  Also you mentioned a ps3.  I have a Mac system and would receive the movies through my tivo box.
0 Likes