Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Downloading movies from Netflix

SOLVED
bethanycarol
Contributor
Contributor

Downloading movies from Netflix

Message 1 of 6
(9,071 Views)
I have a Netflix service and would like to download to my Tivo.  I have signed in all the right places and when I try the process Netflix says its downloading but the picture turns gray and nothing happens.  Does anyone know what the problem is?  Verizon tech support doesn't know and suggests I buy their premium service.
Message Edited by bethanycarol on 04-03-2009 08:10 PM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Downloading movies from Netflix

Message 2 of 6
(9,056 Views)

Netflix streaming is very bandwidth intensive and may not work over DSL. There are a number of internet postings regarding streaming movies from Netflix. A 1.5mbps connection is well below DVD and 3mbps is DVD so I have read. Here is an article that discusses it.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8627.ars

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Downloading movies from Netflix

Message 2 of 6
(9,057 Views)

Netflix streaming is very bandwidth intensive and may not work over DSL. There are a number of internet postings regarding streaming movies from Netflix. A 1.5mbps connection is well below DVD and 3mbps is DVD so I have read. Here is an article that discusses it.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8627.ars

View solution in original post

bethanycarol
Contributor
Contributor

Netflix Problem

Message 3 of 6
(9,050 Views)
Thanks for the response.  That makes perfect sense.  If only Verizon had shared that info.  I guess I'll give up on the process for the time being.  
hjason7812
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Netflix Problem

Message 4 of 6
(8,960 Views)

that is not true i have a 1.5mbps speed dsl and i get fine picture quality. but then again i have a hd gpu. so it might be because of that.

but i hardly every have any problems watching movies on netflix.

i even have a ps3 and not much problems downloading movies from there either. or online play so i guess it might be the wires that are your problem

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 6
(8,940 Views)

@hjason7812 wrote:

that is not true i have a 1.5mbps speed dsl and i get fine picture quality. but then again i have a hd gpu. so it might be because of that.

but i hardly every have any problems watching movies on netflix.

i even have a ps3 and not much problems downloading movies from there either. or online play so i guess it might be the wires that are your problem

That is good to hear. I based my post on information read online regarding required bandwidth for streaming video. Perhaps the technology has improved. Yes PC hardware could be a big factor when handling compression. In the past when I had DSL at 1.5 the compression artifacts where just unacceptable.
bethanycarol
Contributor
Contributor

Message 6 of 6
(8,930 Views)
Can you tell me how I can go about changing my system so that I can receive movies?  You said you had a' hd gpu' and I don't know what that is.  Also you mentioned a ps3.  I have a Mac system and would receive the movies through my tivo box.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title