Re: Dropped Internet Connections
WVRedNeck

Well with so many people having the similar problem, I think it's with Verizon servers.

I'm in West Virginia and every day at this time I have to keep turning my modem off and on to regain my connection.

It started off slowly about 2 months ago, maybe once a week, now it's every day.

There are many threads about this issue or similar issues, but at different time of the day!

This keeps up I will be gong satelite!

0 Likes
jaycee

I have been on Verizon DSL for three days. I have been online a total of 18 hours out of that 72 hours time. The connection started out fine and I was online for about 4 hours before retiring for the night. I arose at 6 AM only to find the DSL light flashing and the Internet light out. After about 30 frustrating minutes, I called tech support. As others have stated, I was led through about a dozen requests to direct my call. When I finally spoke to a warm body, she was completely impossible to understand. The conversation was OBVIOUSLY a script. After about a half hour of wishing I had an interpreter, she advised me that she was going to "upgrade" the issue to another department and they would call me within 24 hours...as of this post, it has been 45 hours and NO CALL!!! I took her at her word and rewired my phone jacks at my computer. I worked 2 hours repairing wiring that has worked fine for 20 years and I attempted to go online. Nothing. More "fiddling" with the fine installation CD for about 3 hours. Finally, I was able to access a site. That worked for about 8 hours. I shut down and went to watch a ball game and the news on TV. In the morning, I started the system up and the DSL light was flashing and no 'net light. I dialed the number for TS and as I was going through the button pushing sequence, the 'net light came on. I hanged up the phone and started to surf...checking email, looking for the TV schedule regarding football and baseball, etc. TV Guide's site has always been my source for program scheduling but it failed to even access the schedule. I blamed the site until I decided to try a different site for a comparison...same scenario...no response. I check my ping and DL/UL rates on Speedtest.com. The most horrendous speeds ever showed up. I changed back to cable and tried the same test. Latency on DSL was 105ms, D/L rate was 0.19MB/s, and U/L rate was 0.04. Latency on cable was 45ms, D/L rate was 0.65MB/s, and U/L rate was 0.06. Pages load in less that 3 seconds on cable opposed to 60 to 90 seconds on DSL. I am stuck with a year on DSL due to the agreement with Verizon. I get the first 6 months free, however, but I will stick with cable since the connection speed with cable is 5MB D/L and 512KB U/L. Verizon's rates are 1.5MB/s DL and 384KB/s U/L. Just too much difference for a $7 savings. Too bad they can't let one try their service before being contracted to it. One tries it, finds it to be marginal at best, and they're stuck with it for a year. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER VERIZON DSL!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
larkinsfam

So, at long last I've found the forum.  To echo the sentiments of Jaycee and others, my internet light keeps blinking like a happy camper, and then all of the sudden *poof*.... it disappears, followed by that depressing little red light that pops on indicating I have no internet connection.  Like others have said, I'll call tech support, and after the 30 minutes of standard "Is your computer on?" questions... the service finally works again. This happens (documented) at least 6-7 times per day, every day since I've had the service. 

I'm lost as far as what to do.  The only glimmer of hope I've had is that one tech rep who was easy to understand told me that she's noticed many problems with the westell modems, and to ask Verizon for an Actiontech.  She transfered to biling, who then told me in their oh so wonderful to understand thick accent that they can only send a replacement of the same  crappy westell modem.

In all my 5 plus years of post college internet service, I've never seen such inconsistent service.  Can someone help not just me, but us all?? 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I've had DSL for over 7 years and it has only gone out once. It has been very reliable in all that time. It sounds like you have issues that are knocking out your service. You first need to be less 18,000 from the Central Office to have reliable DSL service unless you are serviced by a remote terminal. The micro-filters need to be on all devices including alarm systems, fax machines and computer modems. If you have 3Mb service or higher a whole house filter is really required. Noise on the phone line will affect the DSL service so if you have any call Verizon repair.
0 Likes
jaycee
Oh, Prunella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Excuses are like...well you know the rest!!!!!!!!!!! And there are numerous...ummm..."excuses" working for Verizon tech (non)support. Anyone doing a similar shoddy job for their employer would be dropped like a bad habit. Maybe everyone should do that with Verizon...DROP THEM LIKE WHAT THEY REALLY ARE...A BAD HABIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Likes
tampa_dsl_user

Just want to add my 2 cents--- my connection drops ALL THE TIME-- sometimes I will go almost a whole day with no problems and then alas-- they begin again.  As I type this I am using my dial up-- gee what an idiot I am..paying 2 companies.... Verizon should be offering us their dial up free when this DSL goes down.  My "House"  may be getting "Bright"er in the near future if this doesn't change and as far as the agreement-- Verizon you're not holding up your end when we can't rely on your service.  I really need something I can rely on.  My dial up was more reliable...just slower-  I do love it when it works.

Right now it shows me as connected (but it's my dial up that is working) -- it shows under network connection-- 1436 packets sent and 247 received--- what a packet is I don't know, but it's usually in the hundreds of thousands....what's up?

0 Likes
dhlunar
Enthusiast - Level 3
I live in Maryland right outside of DC and in the two and a half years that I had DSL it only dropped once for a half-hour.  I found sometimes my Internet would be slow and I would call Verizon DSL and the automated system would do a line check.  For some reason that worked, however, the time that the Internet was really out the line check went on for ever.  Once I got to an an agent and was on the phone with him for almost a half hour all of a sudden it came back online. 
0 Likes
misfitgamer
i have a westell327w had been workin fine for a couple of months then out of no where i get drops the modem kicks me off line for a couple of seconds every 15 minutes sometimes can u help me the tech came to my house but nothing came of it here is my modem stats please help                                                                                                                           Transceiver Revision: 1.0.9.0   Vendor ID Code:        4   Line Mode:               G.DMT Mode   Data Path:               Interleaved   Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1792 448 Margin (dB) 6.0 15.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 59.5 31.5 Transmit Power (dBm) 16.6 11.0
0 Likes
Ekross
Enthusiast - Level 2
I, too, am having the same problem.  I time out at least 5 or 6 times a day for short periods. What is really strange is that for years I have had 2 lines 1 for voice and one for fax and DSL.  A few months ago, I got rid of the 2nd line and got a new DSL account on my voice line. This is when the problem started. I got a wireless modem whereas before I went from modem to my own wireless router.  When I time out, my network does not go down, just the internet.  I, too, tried to call, but by the time I went through all those idiotic menus, it was back on.  I live on the Northshore of Boston and it is driving me nuts.  What can we do?
0 Likes
Jaye
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is what I do when that happens to me.

I log off and restart my computer.  It works everytime.  It's still a pain in the "buttocks" and it shouldn't be happening at all.  Plus the speed of my connection isn't the best but it could be worse I guess. 

0 Likes