Dropping Packets at Night
Avprox

Well, this all just started a few days ago.

Every night from exactly 8PM to around 6-7AM, my internet starts lagging like crazy every 5 or so minutes, making games and such unplayable due to an insanely high ping.

I downloaded a program that does traces every few seconds, and its showing that during those times of huge lag, im losing around 30% to 50% of my packets.

Im currently using a Westell Wirespeed 2100 connected to a Netgear WGR614v6 router. 

I WOULD try to just connect straight through my modem, but I can't seem to get it to reset and let my computer connect no matter what I try. I've unplugged it for an hour, held the button on the back of the modem for 60 seconds, nothing.

If anyone could give me some help with this, I would appreciate it very much.

0 Likes
Re: Dropping Packets at Night
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Show the modem status from the Westell Wirespeed 2100.

I think I know where, this is. Go to Trouble Shooting, and then go to something that says something about a transceiver. Like transceiver Status.

(OR) If you have no idea of where the modem status are, log-in to the router and show the first screen that you see.

^^^
0 Likes
Avprox

Im not exactly sure what you want from the first page of the router. The options on it are Internet IP Address and DNS Address, which i both have set to "Get Dynamically From ISP", and Router Mac Address, which is set to "Use Default Address".

If you could tell me specifically what information you need, I could most likely find it.

If I could connect directly to my modem i would check the transceiver status, but i cant, so i can not access my modem's page.

Thank you for responding.

Edit: I think i found the information you were looking for. I hope it is of some use.

Account Name      WGR614v6
Firmware Version     V2.0.19_1.0.19NA

Internet Port
MAC Address     00:14:6C:04:07:49
IP Address     71.104.xxx.xx  {edited for privacy}
DHCP     DHCPClient
IP Subnet Mask     255.255.255.0
Domain Name Server
    68.238.xx.xx

68.238.xxx.xx

LAN Port
MAC Address     00:14:6C:04:07:48
IP Address     192.168.1.1
DHCP     ON
IP Subnet Mask     255.255.255.0

Wireless Port
Name (SSID)     NETGEAR1
Region     United States
Channel     11
Mode     Auto
Wireless AP     ON
Broadcast Name     ON

Message Edited by Avprox on 08-03-2009 05:44 AM
Message Edited by KaLin on 08-04-2009 01:44 PM
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 Since wireless is turned on in your router...

a) Are there any computers that use wireless?

b) What level of Wireless Security is the router set to use?

---

#2 To get the modem status

How about using the tool, that addressed in..

URL: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

Title/location: All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online DSL FAQ » Connection » What is the Westell Modem Browser and how can I interpret it's results.

a) Download it to your computer

b) To install, unless you have a hub - connect your computer directly to the modem.

c) Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

^^
0 Likes