Dsl unreliable speed
jameswp1

I have had many problems with DSL  in my area and been thru all the troubleshooting and tried the IN HOME AGENT  as well as calling Verizon support. Even the homes on each side of mine have had the exact same issues as mine. this is an ongoing issue that is easy to see and i dont understand how it always seem to be the customers fault  IE: the wires in my home or a bad piece of equipment. Speed is always in a constant state of change. it is never stable and doing more than one thing at a time is out of the question. Even something as simple as viewing a web page and text chating on any messenger like yahoo or msn.

At times the speed is fair but as soon as it is tasked in the least bit it slows to a snails pace. Even our Internet ready TV wont connect and warns of very slow connection. and it is the only thing connected to the westell 7500 dsl router. (IMAGINE THAT)

Below are just 2 of many tests via verizons speed test and i have many more also from speedtest.net. NOTICE THE DIFFERENT IP ADRESSES ALSO. one test is from a prior repair atempt . They changed my connection at the cenntal office.

that didnt work either.  Distance is a factor(to the central office) as we are all told and can affect speed. This is not the case with my problems though. It is the wires maintained by Verizon on my street. every time a repair truck is on our street we get connection and speed problems as well as static on the phone line when talking. Caller ID wont function as well as droping incoming calls.   i have  an account of up to 15mbs and home phone.  dont tthink ive ever seen more than 10mbs though.

SEE BELOW SPEED TEST RESULTS FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

Broadband Speed Test
 Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.38Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 3.96Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_24

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 6086656 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 144.14 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 1015 packets retransmitted, 56 duplicate acks received, and 1027 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 0.53 seconds (4.41%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 6.85% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 18.3% of the time.
This connection is network limited 74.83% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
 Server says [108.15.218.60] but Client says [192.168.1.36]

Broadband Speed Test
 Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 988.53Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.12Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_24

Client Receive Window detected at 376064 bytes.
Link set to Full Duplex mode

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 110.75 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 24 packets retransmitted, 382 duplicate acks received, and 384 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 10.24% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 26.15% of the time.
This connection is network limited 63.62% of the time.

Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
 Server says [71.171.49.77] but Client says [192.168.1.39]

I am retired now and have 20 years in telcom experiance. As well as IT and Computer Degrees. (VERIZON CONTRACTOR ALSO)

i REPLACE ALL THE WIRE AND JACKS IN MY HOME. AS WELL AS NEW CAT5 CABLES BETWEEN ROUTER AND COMPUTERS,  DSL FILTERS AND RELATED WIRES(VERIZON PROVIDED) INTERFACE TO DSL MODEM AND HOME PHONES. NO SPLITERS IN USE. 2 JACKS ONLY  ONE DSL  ONE HOME PHONE(BOUGHT NEW) WITH NEW DSL FILTER.

MULTIMETER TESTED FOR SHORTS (NONE DETECTED)  100% NEW ON MY END AND FUNCTIONING PERFECTLY.

NO SOFTWARE ISSUES OF ANY KIND ANTIVIRUS/FIREWALL UPDATES OR REGISTRY ERRORS SPYWARE ETC.

ANY IDEAS? OTHER THAN THE OBVIOUS (ITS UP THE POLE TO THE HUB-CO)

0 Likes
Re: Dsl unreliable speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Away from posting up the Transceiver Statistics from the Westell 7500 I would get Verizon out to ensure the static/disconnect issues do not return ever again whenever they have a crew working on the lines. The speeds you're getting are bad for the 15Mbps connection, but I'm surprised that you exceeded 1Mbps upload on the first speed test.

Voice Repair would be the folks you want to get out first. Once the line is dead silent when you silence the dial tone, getting DSL-based support out should get a tech out who understands how DSL operates and makes an attempt to prevent the problem from happening again.

If Verizon refuses to fix it, you should be able to ask your local PUC to get Verizon to repair the voice section of the line enough to ensure that no longer has issues. If that is repaired up enough, DSL should follow. Since you have Telecom experience, I would imagine you would know how to get Verizon back on the ball to fix it.

0 Likes
jameswp1

The transceiver stats as well as connection speed shown on the dsl modem web based utility is a quick snapshot of the specs at time of connection and wont always show a intermittent connection issue. the repair person just doesnt check far enough down the line to locate the short. its been 3 months and 3 different repairmen that only go to the same point and stop. it boggles the mind. i guess ill have to hold the next ones hand and take them to the probelm area. 

below are test after the last repair. strong dial tone loses dsl connection 2 or 3 times an hour now.  this is their last chance to fix or i will just cancel and go to cable and a cell.

Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 627.52Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 613.86kb/s

OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_26

Client Receive Window detected at 1045440 bytes.
Link set to Full Duplex mode

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 175.18 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 155 packets retransmitted, 48 duplicate acks received, and 161 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 4.51% of the time.
This connection is network limited 95.49% of the time.

Server says [108.15.223.161] but Client says [192.168.1.21]

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision  A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code  4D54
Line Mode  ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 10262 914
Margin (dB) 5.3 9.9
Line Attenuation (dB) 41.0 23.2
Transmit Power (dBm) 22.1 12.4

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did Verizon ever tell you how long your loop length really is? The route to the CO may be entirely different over the most direct route that you can think of. Your Statistics are suggesting the line to be about two miles out, perhaps a bit less since attenuation tends to increase slightly with higher speeds. You need to ask Verizon how many feet of cabling lay between you and the DSLAM (An MLT test will tell them this information, and it will need to be ran while the phone line is not in use, excluding DSL) to see if the problem really is from a fault at the street or if it truly is distance. The MLT test will also pick up the short in many circumstances and tell the techs where it is (which should be right where you wish to take them).

If you wish to keep the 10Mbps rate, I would suggest getting the line bumped off of FastPath down to Interleaved mode. especialy if distance is the factor here. Your margins are lower than they should be and the transmit power is maxed out for the downstream. But right now we're looking for some more information.

0 Likes
jameswp1

They came out friday the 21st and on sunday the 23rd i lost evreything  phone and dsl   imagine that   THIS IS THE WORST SERVICE POSSIBLE. 

0 Likes