Extreme slow DSL in Long Island
WalkGoodDSL
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anyone in Long Island with extreme slow DSL?

Anyone with verizon DSL in Long Island area, namely Patchogue with extremely slow connection speeds since Dec 31 2009?

My speed goes from barely 30 Kbps to zero during last 4 days.  I get an initial 180 kbps for half a second and then the speed just drops out on speakeasy. 

On speedtest.net  usually hangs or I get something along the lines of 0.45 Mbps.  Yet my upload speed is much higher (normal) at 0.73 Mbps.

My service has for years been 2.8 Mbps download with 700 to 800 kbps for upload.

Verizon made me do the usual reboots, resets, check the plugs, SAFE MODE "song and dance" routine for 1 hour and 10 minutes. They did some sorta remote check that says I have no connection problems between my modem and their equipment. HA!

Then they tell me that there is a problem somewhere in NYC that is affecting DSL service for Long Island.  No est for repairs.

Their remote test just tested the connection between my modem and some node point that is less than a mile from my house.

0 Likes
Re: Extreme slow DSL in Long Island
gossamer

Ditto here. I'm in Islip. Frustratingly slow. I've also called tech support and they tell me nothings wrong and have me connect and disconnect wires, etc.  I haven't been able to read my email for days because it just won't load up.

0 Likes
Re: Extreme slow DSL in Long Island
WalkGoodDSL
Enthusiast - Level 1

Keep complaining.

The "TEST" that they do,  is the test between your modem and a network "node" which is very close to your own location.  They call it a "CO"  (central office maybe?)  IIRC.

So I get a great connection between my modem and this "node" located less than a mile from my house.  But my "real life" internet access is slower than a 300 baud dialup modem from 1987 technology!!!