Extremely bad latency on DSL
joannk1

We're in a relatively rural area and Verizon is the only hard wired internet provider in the area. For my house they only provide up to 3mbps maximum. We've had this service since 2005. Lately, over the last half year or so, with only one computer connected using a ethernet cable directly to the modem, the latency would shoot through the roof whenever you loaded anything. I don't mean downloading heavy files or streaming HD videos. I mean loading up google news or amazon.

I set up latency monitoring using the windows command prompt with the command:  ping google.com -t

With no activity, the ping sits at a steady 35ms or so. When I load up a webpage, it jumps up to 500-600ms while it loads. If you watch a youtube video at LOW resolution (i.e. 360P), the ping jumps up 800-1000ms for the duration of the streaming. I get similar results pinging a variety of different servers.

It wasn't like this over the years I've used the service. I doubt it's the modem because a few months ago, I had the modem replaced by Verizon and the problem persisted (existed both before and after the change).

These are the results of testing.

The problem comes in practical use, because we have a family of 3 sharing the same internet connection. Before, one person could watch a low res youtube video and everyone else could load up web pages, play games, etc. just fine. Now it's just become impossible.

Like I said, it wasn't always like this. It's only been like this for the past half year to 1 year.

What can be done to make it like it was before?

0 Likes
Re: Extremely bad latency on DSL
dshafs

Same problem here.  Recently replaced modem to no avail.  Was on phone with Verizon yesterday for hours and they finally said they spotted a problem on line and that it would be fixed in next 24-48 hours.  I'm not holding my breath.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are your speeds normal? What package do you pay for and what do you receive? Sounds like you've got a buffering problem on the downstream.

0 Likes