FIOS Internet Troubles
chippergal

About 3 weeks ago, my router became defective and Verizon sent me a new wireless router. Well I do have internet, but it is intermittent and is very frustrating. I have talked to two Verizon customer service reps on the phone and neither could provide me sufficient help. I have optimized and taken speed tests for the FIOS internet, but it is still intermittent. In the new router box, I did receive a white ethernet cable, which I do not have a plug for, because I have the coaxial cable connection and I am not sure if this is the reason for the loss. I kept using the coaxial cable from my previous router. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate them!

Message Edited by chippergal on 08-18-2008 12:21 PM
0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet Troubles
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
There are 2 possibilities for a WAN connection. You either have the coax cable or the Ethernet connection for the white WAN port. It sounds like you have the coax. The LAN side also has 2 possibilities you are either wireless or hard wired in to 1 of the 4 yellow LAN Ethernet ports. If you are wireless it is usually a little slower than being hard wired. You can run Verizon's connection wizard software which can fix a lot of issues that you have. verizon.com/connectionwizard
0 Likes
chippergal
Thank you for responding! I installed the Verizon connection wizard and it told me my internet connection to the FIOS was working properly, yet I still have intermittent internet. Do I need to purchase another coaxial cable?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Is the interent light on the router going out when you lose the connection? Try to describe exactly what happens when you lose the connection and what you are doing at the time. Please tell me everything that is connected to the router wired and wireless.
0 Likes
chippergal
Yes, the internet light goes out and also turns an amber color. It will be down for a minute or two, sometimes more.  I lose the connection just when I am browsing web pages or not even doing anything. The page is displayed as "Problem loading page" and I click "Try Again" until I see the internet light come back on. Connected to my wireless router is the adapter, coaxial cable, and the yellow internet cable. The lights that are green are: power, WAN coax, internet light, the # 1 slot for the internet, LAN coax, and wireless. Sometimes when the internet disconnects, the WAN coax light disappears. I hope this is some help.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You are probably going to need a sevice call. It could be the ONT, router or coax at this point. I don't think you are going to be able to do much more on your own.
0 Likes
chippergal

I was afraid of that...but thanks for the help anyways!

0 Likes