FIOS to DSL now I can't send email via port 25 or 587
Fredzep

I was cruising along fine for a year on FIOS.  Then I moved 2 days ago to a new house with DSL.  I connected my system the same as before.  Viola!  I can not send email via Outlook 2002 on non verizon email acccounts.

Yes, I have read through the port 25/SMTP issues but nothing has worked.  Online support reset my winsock settings, but did not work.

XP sp 3

Outlook 2002

Non Verizon Email

Anyone find the solution?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS to DSL now I can't send email via port 25 or 587
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fredzep wrote:

I finally solved this Verizon issue.  DSL maxed me at 3MB.  Brought in Comcast and running at 20MB, but more importantly my outlook sends/recieves 100% prefect!  I am Back in Business!

Thansk for everyone's help!

That is good. 🙂

Please do not forget to mark as solved.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Depending on which 3rd party email provider you are using, your settings may need to be altered. Verizon is blocking 3rd party accounts sending through port 25 via a pop3 client, but not all 3rd party providers use 587 as their alternate port. Some providers do not even have an alternate port for SMTP, in which case your best option might be to use Verizon's outgoing server with your 3rd party incoming settings.

If you are using a common provider like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, let me know and I will get the settings for you. If not, I can try to explain how to set up Verizon's outgoing server.

0 Likes
Fredzep

Mega Thanks for the reply!

I am using 4 separate corp email accounts.  No commercial ISP's I know of.  2 of these accounts domains were from godaddy and they are hosting.

I did try changing my outgoing smtp to outgoing.verizon.net which prompted for a password but never did accept anything.

Thanks!

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Maybe this will help:

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up your outgoing server with  fictional account  "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The Incoming settings will be what your 3rd party provides.

Outgoing Server: outgoing.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes

Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): No
Port: 25 (although 587 also works.)

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the server name should be: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

0 Likes
Fredzep

All Righty..

I set it up just as you suggested and was able to find my verizon username and password.  I tried with with port 25 and 587. 

It did clear the smtp server, but it still prompts for a password and will not send out any emails.  The prompt for the password will not go away unless I use the username and password of the account (not Verizon).  Then it will not clear the smtp, nor will it send the email.  Test messages will not work either.

The thing that concerns me is that when I was running FIOS I was fine.  I move to DSL and nothing but trouble.

I may just cancel and go with Comcast who is offering 20MB for $10 more than Verizon's DSL 3MB.

Thank you!!!!!

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Which email client are you using? If there is not a way to set the authentication information for the SMTP and POP3 separately, you may have a problem. You should be able to configure the client to remember both.

0 Likes
Fredzep

I am using Outlook 2002. 

I have set the POP3  with my verizon information correctly.  I set the outgoing SMTP to "requires auth" and tried it as "use the same as incoming"  as well as Loggin in.  All times in every config I get either a n SMTP error, or a un/pw box for outgoing.verizon.net. 

Question:  Since I am on my girlfiends DSL line, do I need to use her log in?  I am still using mine from my FIOS account which is still active but I am not using.

Mega Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
virden61

I am having the same problem. I have had my HTC for over a year and never had a problem. Since I cleared the storage and redid my email, I can receive but not send mail. I am using the incoming.yahoo.verizon.net and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net. All my settings are correct. I have the outgoing requires auth checked. This is really irritating!  Any suggestions?  Woman Mad

0 Likes
Fredzep

I have traced the issue to Verizon.  I hopped on a Comcast wifi network from my new neighbor and my outlook sent the messages with no problems using my original corp setup I used with my old FIOS.

This confirms that this DSL line is not worth keeping as I can not use it to send outlook email. 

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If you set up your Verizon account fully are you able to send and receive with that?

If you are, then it's something in the settings of your other account.

If you are not, then contact tech support an they should help you troubleshoot where the issue is. (They won't support your 3rd party account using Verizon's outgoing server, as relaying that way is "allowed" but not "supported" by Verizon.)

0 Likes