FOR all those who need higher speed looking into SATTELITE today and other carriers
ctaggart3

I have had lengthy discussion with your customer service rep last night and explained we must have ,more speed on our INTERNET LINE by this Spring or we are switching to COMCAST for INTERNET and probably Satellite TV to cable...I told her that a company just placed NEW PIPES in the whole STREET in the ground for 3 months and time to place your cable for HIGHER SPEED INTERNET 1.5 MBS is lousy speed and up to Carroll County and will be back in SPRING. Perfect time for your HARDWARE TECHNICIANS to place new"""" higher speed cables""" in  the ground for your customers here on MARSHALL MILL ROAD ok ...? WE NEED SPEED and 1.5 MBS really won;t cut it for the future? NEED 10 to 20 MBS

0 Likes
Re: FOR all those who need higher speed looking into SATTELITE today and other carriers
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI: With Satellite you may get high speeds, but you're going to be subjecting yourself to daily or monthly data limits along with latency that will not go below 600ms. On average Satellite will run you around 800ms of latency. To put it in perspective, a DSL Connection can achieve 30ms to many nearby locations. So with that in mind, you should stick to more terrestrial options, such as FIber, Coaxial (Cable), or as a last resort, Wireless.

What modem do you currently use from Verizon? I'd like to see if the line is capable of going faster and get this sorted for you.

0 Likes
Re: FOR all those who need higher speed looking into SATTELITE today and other carriers
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
I'm very familiar with satellite Internet. (Depending on the plan you get) your right it can be very fast. 4 major problems with satellite IP (1) Your caped in data (2) VOIP is pretty much impossible to use with 10 second delays or more. (3) weather (4) VPN.

If you have 4g LTE in your area go with a hot spot or Verizon's home fusion ( not sure if that's the name). However I would stick with a 1.5 meg line over cell or satellite Internet. Sure you can stream in HD, and download large files fast with satellite. But I've seen people go through their hole month a data in four days or less (20gigs). Then they slow your speed down (throttle) you and make you pay $15 per gig after you have used your data up.

If your just a web browser and occasionally you tube watcher it might be perfect for you.
0 Likes