Finding location of Verizon CO
Peano
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll be moving in about a month. I checked online, and Verizon offers a phone/DSL package for my new address.

DSL speeds depend on distance from the central office, of course. I'm trying to find out the location of the CO that serves my new address (in the 24502 area code).

Does anyone know where I might find that info online? (It's Sunday, so I'll try calling their customer service tomorrow, but it's usually like pulling teeth to get information from Verizon by phone.)

0 Likes
Re: Finding location of Verizon CO
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try to Google "Verizon co locations?"

I get lots of promising hits.  Here's one:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/coinfo

Others look good, too.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Peano
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I gave that a try but couldn't find an answer. I'll call Verizon today and see if I can get anywhere with their world-famous customer support. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Peano
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to follow up and finish off this thread, I called Verizon. They weren't able to tell me the street address of the CO, but they could tell me that the maximum available DSL speed there would be 1.5 Mb. That pretty much settles it that I'll go with a cable connection to the Internet. They offer a service that gives "up to" 6 Mb download, and we all know how that goes. If I can get 3 out of it, I'll be satisfied. That's what I get from my current Verizon DSL.

Adios, amigos.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Peano wrote:

Just to follow up and finish off this thread, I called Verizon. They weren't able to tell me the street address of the CO, but they could tell me that the maximum available DSL speed there would be 1.5 Mb. That pretty much settles it that I'll go with a cable connection to the Internet. They offer a service that gives "up to" 6 Mb download, and we all know how that goes. If I can get 3 out of it, I'll be satisfied. That's what I get from my current Verizon DSL.

Adios, amigos.

With luck, you'll be serviced out of a remote that offers speeds higher than 3Mbps, like the one I come out of does. The CO Finder tools don't show the locations of remotes, but you can usually spot them if you know what you're looking for, and some online availability databases can give you approximate wire distance too.

0 Likes