Firewall issues
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I'm having a problem with one of my devices and it appears to be due to the firewall in my dslrouter.  My dslrouter is a Westell 7500 provided by verizon.  I have the firewall set to Typical Security.  The device that's giving me problems is a Samsung Blu-Ray.   

Most of the time, the blu-ray operates just fine, giving me access to Netflix and some other places.  Every now and then, it gets hung up on "Updating system time".  I have traced the problem to the firewall in my DSLrouter, but I am at a loss.  I have a workaround but I'd rather put in some kind of exception that will let the traffic through for the Samsung, without exposing me to intruders.

Can anybody tell me whether the Samsung is using NTP and, if so, how a need to reconfigure my 7500 to allow this traffic?  What's the risk if I do so?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Firewall issues
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just set the firewall to low to keep trouble away. There's little risk to having it set any higher or lower as the router by design, won't allow access to PCs in your network due to NAT.

View solution in original post

Re: Firewall issues
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just set the firewall to low to keep trouble away. There's little risk to having it set any higher or lower as the router by design, won't allow access to PCs in your network due to NAT.