Free FIOs upgrade for DSL users?
Clutterbuzz

A man showed up at my front door at about 8:00PM. He claimed to be from verizon and told me something about verizon offering a free FIOs upgrade from my DSL connection. He said that verizon's DSL service was becoming outdated and that it was more expensive to keep using it.

He knew that I was an account holder and that I had a DSL internet and phone service from verizon, but for some reason he had to ask for my phone number and address. This seems really suspiscious to me, esspecially since I can't find anything about it on the internet and I didn't receive any former notifications.

Can anyone give me some info on this? If it isn't legit then I'll cancel it.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Free FIOs upgrade for DSL users?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I am not in the know about that, did you ask for ID (and check it)?

0 Likes
Kyle_Soule
Enthusiast - Level 2

Extremely shady. I don't believe Verizon has door-to-door salesmen.

He could have pulled a bill out of your garbage or just been phishing...he didn't necessarily know you had Verizon phone or internet, you just thought he knew because he said you did. If you hadn't had it, you would have closed the door in his face, cursed scammers, and forgot about him.

I hope you didn't give him a credit card number...it sounds like a scam to me. Best bet is to call Customer Service and verify...also, verify on their site that FIOs is even available in your area.

giorfida
Enthusiast - Level 3

When i lived at my old place, I had FiOs Internet, and phone, and DirecTV.  We had door to dor salesmen coming around from Verizon, fist thing they did was show ID. and ask if I was interested, I told them already had internet and phone, and I did sign up for tv when it was coming... but they had official verizon forms, and gve me official verizon literature etc... you just KNEW they were legit.

0 Likes