Free router??
jmcclelland
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I ordered service, I was told I was to receive a free router.  The other equipment has arrived, but have not received a router yet.  Did anyone else experience a delay like this?  My order was placed 10 days ago and I just received the modem today.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Free router??
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you received a modem instead of a gateway, it sounds like Verizon or something else may have caused the wrong equipment to be sent  The routers Verizon supplies these days are Modem + Router combination units, aka Gateways. You'll wind up with a Westell 7500, a D-Link DSL-2750B or an ActionTec GT704WGR Gateway. If you received a regular Westell 6100 modem, they do have routers built-in with them even though they have no Wireless and only one Ethernet port. With the 6100 you can hang your own router off and bridge the 6100, or if you wish to use the 6100 as your router, just purchase an Ethernet switch and a Wireless access point if you wish to have Wireless. Or, you can ask Verizon to send a Gateway, and send the Westell 6100 back to them.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you received a modem instead of a gateway, it sounds like Verizon or something else may have caused the wrong equipment to be sent  The routers Verizon supplies these days are Modem + Router combination units, aka Gateways. You'll wind up with a Westell 7500, a D-Link DSL-2750B or an ActionTec GT704WGR Gateway. If you received a regular Westell 6100 modem, they do have routers built-in with them even though they have no Wireless and only one Ethernet port. With the 6100 you can hang your own router off and bridge the 6100, or if you wish to use the 6100 as your router, just purchase an Ethernet switch and a Wireless access point if you wish to have Wireless. Or, you can ask Verizon to send a Gateway, and send the Westell 6100 back to them.

0 Likes
jmcclelland
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you Smith6612.  I will just use my old router on the 6100 for now and contact them.  I appreciate the quick response.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem! Let us know if you need any further help 🙂

0 Likes