Frequent Disconnections
quietstorm57

Hi

Lately for the past couple weeks, my modem is frequently disconnecting and reconnecting and it is driving me nuts. The time it will stay online is random, ranging from a few minutes to a few hours. The re-connecting only takes about 20-30 seconds. It is not a phone service problem because I still have a dial tone even when I got disconnected (though I do hear some noise). Verizon techs has come to my house more than 3 times, each time claiming that the problem will never happen again. The problem would seem fixed for a day or two, but then the disconnections would happen again.

Please help!

I have a Westell 6100 modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G v5 router.

0 Likes
Re: Frequent Disconnections
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Do you have DSL Filters on each device (BUT NOT the DSL modem)?

#2 When you call someone OR when you are called by someone does that disconnect the Internet?

#3 Which firmare are you running on that DSL modem combo:

a) The White and Blue?

b) The Red and Black?

Note at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

they talk about both router firmware with screen shots (or links to screens), and how to put the modem into bridge mode since you are using another router.

#4 Did you put the modem into bridge mode?

0 Likes
quietstorm57

So I found out my modem was not in bridge mode. Thanks for the link. Once I changed my modem to bridge mode, my Linksys router settings started screwing up, but that issue has been resolved once I called Linksys.

Can you explain to me, in detail, how changing my modem to bridge mode solved this problem?

I'll wait a couple more days to see if I lost any connection before checking that this problem has been resolved.

Thanks!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@quietstorm57 wrote:

So I found out my modem was not in bridge mode. Thanks for the link. Once I changed my modem to bridge mode, my Linksys router settings started screwing up, but that issue has been resolved once I called Linksys.

Can you explain to me, in detail, how changing my modem to bridge mode solved this problem?

I'll wait a couple more days to see if I lost any connection before checking that this problem has been resolved.

Thanks!

I am not sure but - if that resolves the issue, my guess are  because the modem is

#1 buggy

#2 OR - the modem does not have a stable firmware on it. Maybe an update would fix it?

0 Likes
quietstorm57

The connection has been fine for a week, but last night the problem started happening again. I keep getting disconnected every 10-15 minutes. I called Verizon, had my modem resetted and set to bridge mode again, but the problem was still not fixed. If there is a firmware update for this modem, where do I go to download it? because I couldn't find it online.

Any other ideas why this keeps happening? Could it be something wrong with the wires outside again?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Which Westell firmware (the While and Blue OR the Red and Black)?

#2 I also wonder if your issues are because of the Linksys v5.

I point to http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/26843-linksyswrt54gv5reallyisalousyrouter

b) Do you have any other RJ-45 WAN port router(s) - Even if it, your spare one?

0 Likes