Re: Frequent disconnects/weird modem
obguthr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm still waiting for an answer. I have reset my modem 12 times in the past 2 hours today. I can't log in to my Verizon email because I was logged in when my service disconnected.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi obguthr,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It really sounds like you're losing sync on your modem. We'll need your Transceiver Statistics to get an idea as to why.

To get your modem's IP address, go to Start > search for "CMD.exe" in the search box, or simply go to Run, and type in "cmd.exe" into the Run box. From here, run the command " ipconfig ". Your modem's IP is typically the Default Gateway IP. Take note, if you use a router in between your DSL modem and your computer, you may not be able to get to your modem's web administration page without a little bit of work.

If the modem is a Westell 6100 and it's IP address has not been changed, one of the following URLs will work: http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp OR http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm .

If the web interface doesn't load yet you can connect to the Internet by simply plugging directly into the modem, reboot the modem with the DSL line disconnected. From here, see if the web interface appears. If it does not, try a factory reset. Failing that, you've probably got a Westell 6100 modem that is not quite working right.

0 Likes
obguthr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neither link worked. I do have a wireless router between the modem and my PC. My default gateway is 192.168.2.1. I can access http://192.168.2.1/transtat.htm, but it connects me to a Belkin login page. Belkin is the brand name of my router.

0 Likes
obguthr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I disconnected the router and connected the modem directly to the PC. The first link you provided still didn't work, but the second one went to a login page. I tried my login and passsword, with and without domain name, and neither worked. No other websites would load, so I reconnected the router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@obguthr wrote:

I disconnected the router and connected the modem directly to the PC. The first link you provided still didn't work, but the second one went to a login page. I tried my login and passsword, with and without domain name, and neither worked. No other websites would load, so I reconnected the router.

It sounds like in this case, you can reach the modem. Re-connect directly to the modem and try one of the following usernames and passwords:

admin / password

admin / password1

admin / admin

admin / admin1

admin / Your Router's Serial Number (Case sensitive)

admin / verizon

admin / verizon1

If you are getting a login page for the D-Link while connected directly to your modem, that could be coming from your browser cache. Now if it's actually a Westell login page, then that's what we want. In most cases one of the supplied usernames and passwords I gave should get you in.

0 Likes
obguthr
Enthusiast - Level 3

The username / password combinations you supplied worked, however, I was never directed to a Westell page. I was taken to a Welcome to Verizon page that led to my installing the In home Agent. I believe I already had it, but I re-installed it in case there was something wrong with my earlier installation. What should I do now?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@obguthr wrote:

The username / password combinations you supplied worked, however, I was never directed to a Westell page. I was taken to a Welcome to Verizon page that led to my installing the In home Agent. I believe I already had it, but I re-installed it in case there was something wrong with my earlier installation. What should I do now?

I wonder if when you replied to me, you made a typo of what the model of your Westesll is and you need to use the tool that is addressed at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16899

0 Likes
obguthr
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, I didn't make a typo. I have a Westell 6100 modem, a black box the size of a wallet, with 5 lights.

0 Likes
obguthr
Enthusiast - Level 3

dslr, I downloaded the tool in the link you provided. I installed and ran it. It changed my IP address and then I couldn't connect to the internet at all. Luckily, I figured out how to manually re-assign the IP address back to what it was so that I can connect to the internet.

0 Likes