Getting Verizon to update their C/O
LennyP

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to get Verizon to update their C/O equipment regardless of their planned sale of all land services.

I live out in the country and Verizon claimed the line quality limits me to 760/130.  Being an engineer, I tested the line and it will

suppor upwards of 3Mb downstream and 2Mb up.  After much hassle, I finally spoke with a supervisor -- in the billing office -- who

did some exploration and agreed it was not an issue with line quality buy with my local C/O.  

I am essentially stuck with Verizon DSL as trees block any satellite views, there is no wireless service, and there is no cable; 

Verizon has a monopoly on services in my neighborhood.  Many Verizon customers iaround where I live are in the same boat and

they require true high-speed internet for their businesses. 

Has anyone successfully managed to get Verizon to upgrade their equipment and if so how?  Any advice on how to get Verizon 

to care about it's customers?

0 Likes
Re: Getting Verizon to update their C/O
nkplantz

hi  We are in the same shape here in IN.  I pay $150.00 for the slowest service ever.  I use my Blackberry as my modem so I can get broadband.  It is really slow and really sucks to pay that much for BB service.

kp

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Verizon's equipment doesn't have much to do with the speed of the DSL service. It is your distance from the Central Office that effects speed. The further away you are the slower the service unless there is a remote terminal in your neighborhood. DSL works up to 18,000ft give or take a little. Once you hit that distance game over. Distance and quality of the copper pair are the 2 determining factors that effect DSL.
0 Likes
LennyP

Verizon equipment has everything to do with the speed of DSL service and can most definitely be the limiting factor.  Just as with any computer system, the maximum throughtput is dependent on on the "slowest" component. The DSLAM must be capable of handling the higer speeds; it's limiting factor is how fast it can multiplex or transfer the data between your phone line and the internet backbone.  If data speeds on either side of the DSLAM are faster then the DSLAM can process them, then the DSLAM is throttling it.  The same holds true for your DSL modem; if it's the slowest component then it will limit your internet connection speed.

As to line issues, there are line conditioners available that will permit you to go well beyond 18,000ft at speeds upwards of 20Mbs (see ADSL2+ specification.)  Many line conditioners work off the line voltage so you just need to install them in the proper place on the line; no additional wiring required.  According to a Verizon tech, Verizon does use these line conditioners in certain circumstances.

My line is plenty clean to run upwards of 3Mbs downstream without messing with line conditioning.  As my discussion with a very nice supervisor in Verizon  billing, the problem is central office equipment of which I've deduced the DSLAM as being the limiting factor.

People need to be aware that it is convenient for Verizon to have their techs blame the line.  What you state was true years ago and most people still think this but technology overcame these hurdles years ago.  Verizon's, as with and public corporation, primary responsiblity is to provide maximum profits to it's shareholders (and I do own shares of Verizon) not to provide provide service to it's customers. They are forced to provide voice to people by law (a murky area to me) but are not required to do anything in the digital arena so people like my neighbors and myself are being kept in the dark ages.

0 Likes