Re: Getting knocked off DSL Internet
lordthor20011
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'll check into that next.   Just bothersome that it happens more as it gets later at night.

0 Likes
AKAFP

issue is present here in Philly. what the hell is going on? Wish they would acknowledge a outage and give us a time frame. 

0 Likes
lordthor20011
Enthusiast - Level 1

This problem seems to be getting worse. The wires and cables in my house are fine, but I am losing internet connection a lot. It increases towards evening, but is actually worst overnight. At times I will actually lose connection as I am reconnecting from the last disconnect.

The problem was originally only in bad weather (ie: high winds, thunderstorms) but now occurs at any time and happens 7 days a week.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lordthor2001 wrote:

This problem seems to be getting worse. The wires and cables in my house are fine, but I am losing internet connection a lot. It increases towards evening, but is actually worst overnight. At times I will actually lose connection as I am reconnecting from the last disconnect.

The problem was originally only in bad weather (ie: high winds, thunderstorms) but now occurs at any time and happens 7 days a week.

Any suggestions?

Get a tech dispatched to check the line and equipment for faults if it's getting worse.

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Things to check up on.  They are both outside chances, but worth verifying.

First, is your DSL router set up to always log on to the internet, or only to log on when a computer or device asks for internet access?  I had it set up the second way for a while.  Things didn't work out for me until I changed the DSL router settings to always log on.

Second, does your DSL router have the right username/password to authenticate your connection to Verizon's gateway?  I discovered, quite by accident, that if I change my log on password to the Verizon portal, that also changes the access info for the gateway to allow the DSL router onto the internet.  But if the DSL router is out of sync, and is still using the old password,  the gateway will refuse the connection. 

forrestb

Intermittent loss of DSL internet is happening also in SoCal for the last 2 days.  Have re-booted everything but still  the Internet light goes out and the DSL and Data lights stay on.  Live chat not available now - wonder why?

0 Likes
harneyempire
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi

Your SNR should be 20 or bettter - this is causing your issue

SNR Downstream :    7 dB
SNR Upstream :    13 dB

MUST BE BELOW 40 - this is good

Attenuation Downstream :    36 dB
Attenuation Upstream :    18 dB

Your SNR is too low. This has to be near 20 or above. I too have the same problem. I called Actiontec the makers of my modme/router and was tolld this. Verizon will tell you this if they were HONEST.

I been on Verizon for over 10 years and never had this issue until a few ago. IN MY case im 7,200 away from the CO ( NCO )

and within linits for the SNR down and upstream to be in the correct range - I'm gettinh 5db downstream and 9 up.

With these numbers i get disconnected 4 to 5 times a day at random

Google SNR if you don''t belive me - lower SNR numbers will equal DSL major problems. It's just a fact on how the technology works.

See my report on DSL report.com:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28828311-Connectivity-ActionTec-GT784WNV-Verizon-DSL-connection-UPD...