Good upstream, bad downstream - any suggestions?
redcoat

Hi all, I have a new DSL connection.  Where I live I could only get the 1Mbps plan.  I consistently (for several weeks) I'm getting upload sppeds of approx. 370kbps but only getting download speeds of 130 kbps.

Doesn't matter what kit I use on my end, straight connect through the Westell 6100 modem or with a router in between.  Calling verizon gets no where, line looks goo according to them.

So,  any suggestions what might be causing this? I'm a little stumped at the moment about where to start trying to debug.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Re: Good upstream, bad downstream - any suggestions?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 I do not know, but one if the things that people often ask for is what the modem status are...

If this is the guide for your router..

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/Westell6100index.htm

..in your router go to Trouble Shooting -> Transceiver Status.

#2 What software firewall do you have on your computer?

#3 What anti-virus program do you have on your computer?

0 Likes
redcoat

Hi, thanks for your reply.  not sure why you included a link to a port forwarding information site,  maybe that was meant for anothe rthread I see you replied to?  No port forwarding is set up on my router.  The only changes from the vanilla default settings are to do with wireless security,  the wireless network is working fine.

My modem is currently set up in bridge mode, connect through a linksys WRT54G router.

For questions # 2 and 3, this information doesn't seem to matter.

I've tried:

windows xp and vista with and without macfee and nod32 anti virus software, with and without thewindows firewall.

mac os x with no anti virus or firewall

ubuntu 9.04 with no anti virus or firewall

puppylinux with no antivirus or firewall.

All one at a time with no difference in the speed.

Thanks

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Let us try that again, but a little bit different.

#1 Go to http://www.westell.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&arcsection=support

#2 Download the Diagnostic Utility.

#3 Follow the rest of the FAQ that I am pointing to where it says, "installing".

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

All DSLR (dslreports)FAQs » Verizon Online DSL FAQ » Connection » What is the Westell Modem Browser and how can I interpret it's results?

What you are getting is something called "modem status/line statistics" from the modem...
0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

The uplink and downlink speeds are limited by two things, What Verizon provisions you for, and more importantly, the condition/quality of the copper pair between you and the Central Office. What you need to do is connect to the router/modem and login, and look at the log to see what speed the modem has been able to negotiate with the CO. The logs will give you the negotiated data rates as well as the uplink and downlink losses on the circuit. So while Verizon may provision you for 1 million bps, if the condition of the copper pair will only support 500kbps, 500kbps is all you are going to get!

It is quite possible that the problem is the condition/quality of the copper pair, in which case short of getting FiOS you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

I went to FiOS in part because everytime it rained, I lost 500kbps in downlink speed, and even without the rain, I could never get the 768kbs on the uplink. In addition, if I could hear thunder, my DSL was down.

FiOS is pretty much an all or nothing service. You either get the rated performance, or you get nothing. So far Rain, Snow, and lightning have had NO effect on my FiOS link.