Re: Having problems with my DSL during night
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@fixORdc wrote:

So, How do I fix those numbers?

DSL is a radio wave on the phone line.  POTS devices (answering machine, conventional phone, etc) will eat those radio waves.  So you have filters between those DSL radio waves and everything but the DSL modem.  Filter blocks radio waves.

However, is there something in the household wiring that 'eats' DSL signals?  Before blaming Verizon, you should first confirm your wires are not causing the problem.  One way I do this is to relocate a filter at the service entrance so that everything inside the house (even wires inside the wall) never sees that DSL radio wave.  Then run a dedicated wire from the service entrance only to the DSL modem.

You can do a test the same way.  Connect your DSL modem directly to the NID box (where your wires meet theirs) with all other household wires marked and temporarily disconnected.  Is that dB number better?  If yes, then the problem is inside your building.  If not, then it’s all Verizon’s fault.

Appreciate what those numbers reported.  Your problem apparently existed constantly - even though you only saw it during the night.  And you have a number to know when the problem is really solved.  That 6 dB number defined by dsir595148 must be above 12.  My standard is closer to 16 dB.  But now you have a number to actually see the problem AND know (without doubt) when the problem is resolved.

First determine if it is a problem created by your wires or theirs.  Only then attempt a solution.  Don't start changing things with the intent of fixing it until after you known where the problem is.

So you didn't have anything better to do today?  Now you do.

Message Edited by westom on 07-04-2009 05:42 AM
0 Likes
fixORdc

"DSL is a radio wave on the phone line.  POTS devices (answering
machine, conventional phone, etc) will eat those radio waves.  So you
have filters between those DSL radio waves and everything but the DSL
modem.  Filter blocks radio waves."

I only have a homephone using a filter that is connected to the wall jack. Then my DSL line is connected DIRECTLY to the wall jack (no splitter)

"However, is there something in the household wiring that 'eats' DSL
signals?  Before blaming Verizon, you should first confirm your wires
are not causing the problem.  One way I do this is to relocate a filter
at the service entrance so that everything inside the house (even wires
inside the wall) never sees that DSL radio wave.  Then run a dedicated
wire from the service entrance only to the DSL modem."

uhh.. I don't get this part. My DSL modem is connected directly to the wall jack.

"You can do a test the same way.  Connect your DSL modem directly to
the NID box (where your wires meet theirs) with all other household
wires marked and temporarily disconnected.  Is that dB number better? 
If yes, then the problem is inside your building.  If not, then it’s
all Verizon’s fault."

doesn't work, my db stays at 6-10. The internet is just better during the day, and gets worst during the night, but the db stays the same. Although it works like this, when I turn off the reboot the modem, my db raises to 10, then after 3-5 minutes, it goes to 6, then goes to 8 then goes back to 6. 

Message Edited by fixORdc on 07-05-2009 03:43 PM
0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

So you are saying nothing inside the house is eating DSL signals?  I cannot determine if you did the tests properly.  DSL signals are not eaten by any wire or POTS device in your house.  I assume that is what you are saying.  Therefore the weak DSL signal is due to a Verizon failure.

Normal with your signal numbers  is to have DSL service at full speed.   That at pathetic speeds later.  Ignore that speed change.  Worry only that your DSL signal number is pathetically too low.  Worry about nothing else until the that signal strength is closer to or exceeds 16.

Based upon your tests, only Verizon can fix the problem because only Verizon's wires are causing that low signal strength.  That signal to noise ratio is your benchmark.  As long as that dB number remains between 6 and 10, then you have (for all practical purposes) a 100% failed DSL. 

0 Likes
fixORdc

Uhm, I just remember something. My Router is not setup for PPPoE and I heard that DSL(1.5mbps) should be in PPPoE. It's in DHCP at the moment. Do you think there's a connection? or it doesn't matter?

PS: I tried setting it up for PPPoE, although the internet doesn't work after. I can't access the modem too. I also probably need that username and password that the configuration needs, I read on the forums that I have to get those info. from my ISP

Message Edited by fixORdc on 07-06-2009 01:04 AM
0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@fixORdc wrote:

Uhm, I just remember something. My Router is not setup for PPPoE and I heard that DSL(1.5mbps) should be in PPPoE. It's in DHCP at the moment. Do you think there's a connection? or it doesn't matter?

Does not matter how you turn every dial on a radio.  If the station signal is too weak, you have poor reception.  Your DSL modem is a radio receiver.  Those radio waves are only on twisted pair copper wire.   Same principles apply.  The radio wave is too weak - 6-10 dB.  Therefore today you receive a noisy signal; tomorrow it appears to be better.  And no *dial* twisting is going to fix that weak signal.

If nothing inside your house is eating that signal, then the problem lies in Verizon wires (or their transmitter).  Only Verizon can fix it.

The radio station did not come in clearly.  So I will switch to FM?  If you have some signal in AM, then switching to FM will only make no received signal.  Same with PPPoe and DHCP.  Those only define how the signal is translated into 'English'.  You still have weak reception.  The radio station must broadcast a stronger signal.  Verizon must fix the signal you are receiving.

0 Likes
paultek6

The problem is not in your house or lines going to house . Its not your Modem or router.Its there servers.

I have put up with there problems off and on since I have had Verizon. Techs come out and cant find anything you get billed . A way for them to make more off you.

I had Cavalier for 8 years and never had a dropped connection.I will be going back to them. It costs a lil more but I dont have to worry about dropped connections that sometimes last all night ..

{please keep it relevant} 

Paul

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 07-11-2009 07:51 AM
0 Likes
nopatience

I recently subscribed to Verizon DSL, moving from cable.  I have the same problem.  Response is great during the day but by evening I can barely get a page from the net.  I have noticed that if the page is mostly text it will come back slow but at least I can see it.  If there are any images such as banners, etc. then it may never come back to me. 

When other people are having the same problem, or if you are using the same hardware and software you used before, or in this case the problem consistantly changes at particular times of the day then it is not your fault.  The common thread is Verizon.  It sounds to me like their servers get overwhelmed with traffic in the evening when everyone is at home and using the internet.  Even late at night there are a lot of people still on the net.  Verizon needs to upgrade their equipment to handle the load and provide us with the service they advertised and which we are paying for.

0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@nopatience wrote:

It sounds to me like their servers get overwhelmed with traffic in the evening when everyone is at home and using the internet.  Even late at night there are a lot of people still on the net.  Verizon needs to upgrade their equipment to handle the load and provide us with the service they advertised and which we are paying for.

So that low signal strength both day and night is a result of servers being overloaded at night?  Amazing how many know without first collecting numbers.

{No personal comments, please}  Not intended as an insult.  Intended to point you to an often repeated phrase that so many hear and so few understand:  "Follow the evidence".

Long before anyone can make your conclusion, first where are the numbers?  {edited}.  Science means first are some viable numbers.

Low signal strength both day and night can cause higher daily bandwidth and lower nightly bandwidth.  To state that as your problem would only be wild speculation due to your 'no facts and numbers'.    I am not going to wildly speculate.  But I am going to challenge you for casting blame without facts.   {please keep it relevant}  Conclusions come only after facts and numbers are obtained.

Message Edited by westom on 07-12-2009 03:58 PM
Message Edited by westom on 07-12-2009 03:59 PM
Message Edited by KaLin on 07-12-2009 08:27 PM
0 Likes
paultek6

After reviewing all the responses to the problem at hand . Everybody is quick to ask numbers and info .But they havent come up with the answer to the problem.  . Its there server that has the problem.

Now if anybody has what they think is another answer then lets have the cure. Its always the customers fault or should I say their equipment or lines .My info comes from the 4th tech that was here

0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@paultek6 wrote:

After reviewing all the responses to the problem at hand . Everybody is quick to ask numbers and info .But they havent come up with the answer to the problem. 

Everytime the numbers were provided, a solution followed.  Your posts have never provided relevant numbers.  So you have no answers.  Is that sufficient to blame Verizon servers?   {please keep it relevant}

You never provided numbers.  So we ignored your posts  {edited}.  Your replies were onloy as good as the information you provided.

Message Edited by KaLin on 07-12-2009 08:29 PM
0 Likes