Having slow internet all day
pvong
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need help with my internet problems.  Ever since I had verizon, the internet speeds I have recieved over 5 years have been slowly getting worse.  Now, not only is it horriblly slow, it has extremely bad latency.  The plan my family pays for is the 3 Mbps download and 768 Kbps upload.  So far, we're only receiving about HALF along with some strange latency issues.

Here is from the Verizon Speed Test.

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [8192]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 387.48Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.63Mb/s
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [71.116.xx.xxx]

And yes, this is testing without the router and connecting straight to the modem itself. And here is the test from Pingtest website.

HERE

Re: Having slow internet all day
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ping isn't very good, nor is the jitter for that matter as you've noticed. Before proceeding further, if you can obtain your modem's Transceiver Statistics for us, that will be all we need. If you don't know how to get them, tell us what modem you're using along with any routers.

pvong
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the late reply, I'm running Westell Wirespeed modem with a Netgear wireless N router ( the original was a Linksys wireless B router).

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the exact model of the Westell?

#2 What is the exact model of the Netgear?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Assuming the Westell Wirespeed modem is several years old, run the Westell Diagnostic Utility, found below and post up the modem Transceiver Statistics (Signal Levels for DSL) it displays. Please be aware, you may need to disable any firewalls running on the system for the tool to work.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

Hubrisnxs
Legend
That send buffer is way to small. You probably need to optimize that too. Http://speedtest.Verizon.net. when it asks you to optimize say yes.
pvong
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dslr

The modem is a westell wirespeed model B90-210015-04

The router is a Netgear WNR2000 (I think thats the model?)

@Smith

I'll try that right away.  I'll post the results after I hook it to the modem.

@Hubrisnxs

I couldn't get it to work again (probably because I'm using a new labtop).  I'll try again with my old labtop and post the results.

pvong
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith

I got the Transceiver Statistics (under DSL right?) that you have asked for, but I'm not really sure of what to make of it.

I'll list all of the information on that page below:

Line Statistics     Upstream     Downstream

Noise Margin      N/A                 20.0        [dB]

Output Power      N/A                 N/A

Attenuation          N/A                 29.5        [dB]

Data Rate            864                 3360      [kbits/s]

Error Counter

FEC Errors       7

CRC Errors       2

HEC, Signal Lost, and Frame Loss are 0.

@Hubrisnxs

I would try to optimize it; however, I am not the owner of the internet ( more like a spouse).  I can try to get it from my father when he gets back.  I'll keep you notified.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your Transceiver Statistics, at least what is being reported of them look fine, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Before we continue further, is the slow-down issue you see occurring only towards the night time hours? What operating system do you run?

pvong
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, generally the slowdowns occur mostly from around noon to 1AM (as long as I was on at least).  Sometimes though, the slowdowns are all day long, weekdays and weekends included.  As for the Operating system, the one I have tested with is Windows Vista, but I use my other labtop with Windows 7 Home Premium.