Help Setting up a Second Modem
sparker11

Verizon FIOs recently intalled their router in my house and I wanted to get internet in my room. There is a Coax Cable that runs directly to my room so I purchased a Motorolla SURFboard Cable Modem SB5101U and followed the steps to get it running, but it just stays flashing receive and never moves on the send light. Am I not allowed to set up a second modem to get internet at another location in my house? Do I have to activate the MAC Address with Verizon to get it to work? I was on the phone with Verizon support last night for about an hour and none of the six people I was transfered to could answer those questions.

0 Likes
Re: Help Setting up a Second Modem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Motorola SB5101U is meant for use on DOCSIS cable networks, not on what Verizon uses which is known as MoCa. So, it won't synchronize unfortunately. I would suggest returning it or reselling it to a cable customer who needs it and whose cable company is willing to activate that modem (most will).

Since you have the router already, you can connect through a few methods. In order of preferred methods, you can try the following:

UTP-based Ethernet connection (traditional "Ethernet cable" hook-up)

MoCa LAN

Wireless

Ethernet over Powerline.

What it sounds like you're trying to do is deliver a MoCa LAN connection to your room using the available Coax. As long as it is hooked up, you have a few options here. You can find a second FiOS router around online somewhere which can be set up as a MoCA bridge, you can find a NIM100 (which are quite rare these dyas), or you could consider relocating the router from where Verizon installed it to your room if it is more convenient for everything. Your goal here is to use something that is compatible with MoCA LAN that is being used by the FiOS router that was installed in order to use that coax without moving the router.