High Speed INternet speeds less than 1/2
mmiller265
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a rural customer and paying for the 3Mbps option for Internet which I was told that I qualify for.  When I signed up for that service I was actually getting near that speed.  Now the speed has slowed down considerably.  A file that normally would take 5 minutes to download took nearly 15 tonight.  Contacting Tech support I waas told that my line was rated at only 1.5 Mbps yet I was charged for 3.

Verizon has conveniently made their cutoff for the low speed (high speed) internet at 1Mbps so they can charge an extra $10 (50% more)  for only a slight increase.  In fact running the test on Speakeasy my throughput for download came in at 1.3Mbps.  The technician said that the report was wrong yet when running the speed test from the site he gave me, I got exactly the same results.

Once again Verizon is advertising one thing and delivering another.  If memory serves they are supposed to guarantee at least 75% of the advertised speed.  I guess its time to look for another provider who will deliver what they promise.

Re: High Speed INternet speeds less than 1/2
Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a similar issue. When I signed up for the 3Mbps plan I was actually getting slightly higher than that at the modem which is normal and the various speed tests were around 2.9Mbps. Then it gradually started degrading and now I get 2.8 at the modem and the speed  tests are no higher than 2.3. Nothing has changed on my end and when I contacted support they told me everything was fine since the contract says "up to" and I was actually getting good speed! When I asked them why it would get worse over time they could not provide an answer. I now get long delays when loading pages (it took me close to 20mins just to log in to the forum) and will probably change providers when my contract expires. They are putting all their eggs in the FIOS basket and don't want to deal with DSL!

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the model of that Linksys N Router?

#2 What is the brand and model of your dsl modem?

0 Likes
mmiller265
Enthusiast - Level 2

My DSL router is the 6100G model and the Linksys Modem is WRT1350N

As to FIOS, I agree with you but I, like many people live in a small community and I do not see FIOS coming here fro many years. 

Verizon really needs to service their more rural customers or risk losing them to other providers.  Last time I looked, there were many more areas of this country that were deemed rural.

0 Likes
Letitride3c
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not just the "rural" or "suburban" VZ customers getting short changed. I'm a urban/city VZ customer in New York City, my own "fault" for buying a newly built house that turned out to be 15,000 feet or 16,000 feet to the CO. Yet, when I initially ask and checked DSL speed availability & was told by local CO business office that I would get 3.0 MB service - back in 2006, not to worry, but Fios being deployed soon and perhaps a wait of several months (2007 ???)

Well, it turned out that line didn't support 3.0 MB and it was reduced to 1.5 MB and my monthly priced was down $10.00 - but still, no go - after hours on the line with support & repair, and several dispatched truck roll later - I ended up with 768/128 basic service.

Last year, after waiting & hoping, and actually seeing Fios cables being laid in the immediate area, managed to get a modest upgrade to 1.0/384 along with a price savings switching to Double Play & 12 month price locked.  Line margins on downstream or download has been a nightware, while the speed was fairly stable - DSL & voice repairs keep pointing to the others and REFUSED to remove unused BRIDGE TAPS on the copper wire lines to raise the signal level for better line margins. 

For the past 3 months, line margins have worsen to being just above borderline/cutoff for service, speed has been bouncing all over (all but upward or above 1.0) and a daily routine of manually resetting the Westell 7500 router has now become a twice a day or three times daily ritual - absolutely disgusting & disgrace.  Out of the 20 broadband customers on my city block, I'm the last one on DSL - everyone else has long switched to cable HSI or broadband = faster speed but a bit pricer ....

Now, I'm less than 3 weeks from the end of my "contract" with VZ and I know my DSL pricing is going up by another $5.00 based on the email and I will no longer get new customer/switching discounts, etc.   When I called the VZ business office, I am told - STILL, NO FIOS, just sign up on the email notification list - and that yes, I can get a faster speed of 1.5/384 (sure, the fine prints say up to 1.5/384 that will cost $10.00 more monthly, and 70% of the rated speed is perfectly normal & fine, meaning that I will still get no better than 1.05 MB - would need to be real lucky to get a rock solid, stable, constant 1.5 speed all the times - based on my experience with VZ's DSL services for the past 4 years here)  I said no thanks, and I will be leaving VZ and switching to cable Triple Play next month.

Guest what, the CSR agent said, I understand your concern, is there anything else I can help you today.  I said, no, thank you for your effort but it is obviously you just lost another long time VZ customer.  Goodbye & have a nice day.  Click, I hang up the line. Mind you, that I used to live less than 6,000 feet from the same CO at the old house here in Queens, and got 3.0/768 service and before that, had 1.5/384 via Earthlink as a reseller.  So, I am tired and not going backward further nor waiting. 

So long DSL, hello cable HSI - no contract, free installation, and free service calls or house visits.  With a TurboBoost speed of up to 15 MB (10MB/512) - the offer too good to pass now.  Yes, I realize Fios is faster & better upstream, but, hey - call me on my new unlisted number when VZ has a deal & ready. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Is wireless in the Linksys router enabled?

Wireless -> Setup.

#2 What level of wireless security is it set to (WEP/WPA) ?

Wireless -> Security.

#3 Have you accessed the Westell's GUI before?

#4 If so to question 3, what Westell Firmware is it (The White and Blue OR the Red and Black) ?

0 Likes
elvis6

hola estor en proseso pero este aparato no funciona y nose que hacer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English Translation --

hello blind in Prosesa but this device does not work and nose to do

This forum is an English speaking forum.  Please make your posts in English.

Thank You!!

0 Likes