High Speed service intermittent. Customer service non existent. Router disables wireless daily
ESTEPH20

Have made two calls, and nothing. HSI has been dropping all month from 3.5 Mbps to 1.5 and the wireless keeps turning itself off. I have to go in every day and reset the wireless to broadcast by enabling the router to do so. What does customer service say? Oh, so sorry, it's a line problem. Someone will contact you in the next few hours to address your problem, I cannot help you any further--this after all the usual unplug your router and hard reset your router routine.

How long does it take for the biggest communications company to call a customer back? Going on week two now. Irony? Not when you don't care 

Anyone have a solution to the problem? Anything anyone can reccomend

0 Likes
Re: High Speed service intermittent. Customer service non existent. Router disables wireless daily
bball3344

I have the EXACT SAME Problem.  Tired of rebooting router DAILY. Would love to hear resolution.  Possibly router upgrade?  

0 Likes
Re: High Speed service intermittent. Customer service non existent. Router disables wireless daily
badbadbad

The bottom line is that they don't care.  Here in NYC the copper lines cannot handle high speed internet.  I'm paying for 7 mg but they can only give me less than 4.  I've had a number of repair people here and they just shrug because there is nothing they can do.  Verizon wants to push Fios and we land line people are something that they have no interest in. 

If you call the person in New Delhi or Costa Rica or whatever he just reads off the screen.  If you complain about slow or intermittent service they just assume that you are an idiot and try to fix your computer.  I have told them repeatedly that I know what I am doing and it is their fault.  All I get is the verbal equivalent of a blank stare..

So the bottom line is that they all, by all I mean all internet companies, are the same.  The web should be free anyway but they are just going to bleed us dry while they can..  Verizon is no different...I've hads the same phone number for over 50 years but that means nothing to them..  Nothing..  We are cattle and that is how they think of us..

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all who need help:

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
ESTEPH20

Thanks. I have D-link router model  dsl-2750B 

I think this is the line you are looking for  12 T0-5-1-0.NRFLVA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (130.81.151.144) 106 ms 102 ms G2-1.NRFLVA-NRFLVABS-ERXG03.verizon-gni.net (130.81.197.69) 104 ms

as far as the wan port router...not sure about that. do you need more info?

Thanks again

0 Likes
MoGrace2u
  1. If you have the Verizon In Home Agent, it should give you access to settings on the modem.  I recall seeing a place where you could choose when to renew the dynamic settings anywhere from 30 mins to never.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When you look for the transceiver Statistics, this text gives to you an idea of what to look for:

Line Mode, Data Path:, transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path, DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec), Margin (dB), Line Attenuation (dB), and Transmit Power (dBm).

#2 As where the transceiver Statistics are located in the DLink 2750:

To my knowledge, no one has managed to find and report the location of the transceiver Statistics page on the D-Liink modem, so we'll need Verizon to grab the stats from the DSLAM, and while they're at it, check the logs on their end to see if the line is dropping out physucally, or is dropping out on another sense.

0 Likes
amyjane2
Hello, am jumping in on this thread Nd replying to your helping post because I am having a similar issue, and getting ready to tear my hair out/throw my router out the window. My Verizon DSL connection here in NYC has gone haywire in the past month. It is on a filtered line split with my fax, where the service in both directions is fine. However, because on my PC and my iPad, the modem (?) drops and resets every few minutes, suddenly I cannot watch a movie without interruption by the dozens, have lost ebay auctions, etc. -- a complete nightmare. I have had this -- just ok, not great -- Verizon router for 2 years, it is model GT704-WGB. I usually get wireless speed of around 50Mbps. I read this post with interest, but am not clear what to do, now that I have done the Usenet reverse trace and located my "ERX" line reference. Any additional instruction, help or insight would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!
0 Likes