High ping but speeds are running fine
Doomdream
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last year or so we have been having some really bad ping issues when trying to do things on the net at certain times of the day. Now before anyone says its because the net isn't good for gaming and what not we have been gaming on this net for over 4 years. But to my question to see if anyone can answer this for me but when running a speed time depending on the time of day for example the ms would be 200-500ms 2mbps and .70mpbs. Even though we are running at a decent speed anything we get on lags so bad because of the high ms which they told me it is congestion on the line. Then about a week ago I have a tech tell me that they are in the process of upgrading my area but they are talking to the local township to make sure everything goes through and by the end of the week it should. Well that was last week but my question is there any way to stop the ms from going so high and keep it at 50-80ms as it was running before or is this the start of verizon shutting down copper lines in my area.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: High ping but speeds are running fine
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

High latency isn't really caused by a copper decommissioning. Typically, getting people off of copper and onto other technology like Fiber and Wireless would have the opposite effect. Verizon is probably correct, and this is a case of congestion. Are your speeds consistent when running a download? When downloading a large file or running a speed test, if you look at your task manager, is the graph for Ethernet/Wi-Fi consistent, or is it varied? When performing this test, make sure no other devices that connect to your network, Wi-Fi or Ethernet, are on and using data.

Another data point - does this continue to happen after 12AM, or before 9AM? These are normally the lowest usage hours for Internet service. If service is consistent during these hours, it's certainly congestion.

Depending on how your area is configured, Verizon may be able to move your connection through a different path in the network. A network tech will be able to take a look and help sort this out. However, if the problem is at your DSLAM (where your DSL signal originates from), they may not have as much to work with. There may not be an extra DSLAM or other circuits running into the DSLAM to help ease the congestion.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

High latency isn't really caused by a copper decommissioning. Typically, getting people off of copper and onto other technology like Fiber and Wireless would have the opposite effect. Verizon is probably correct, and this is a case of congestion. Are your speeds consistent when running a download? When downloading a large file or running a speed test, if you look at your task manager, is the graph for Ethernet/Wi-Fi consistent, or is it varied? When performing this test, make sure no other devices that connect to your network, Wi-Fi or Ethernet, are on and using data.

Another data point - does this continue to happen after 12AM, or before 9AM? These are normally the lowest usage hours for Internet service. If service is consistent during these hours, it's certainly congestion.

Depending on how your area is configured, Verizon may be able to move your connection through a different path in the network. A network tech will be able to take a look and help sort this out. However, if the problem is at your DSLAM (where your DSL signal originates from), they may not have as much to work with. There may not be an extra DSLAM or other circuits running into the DSLAM to help ease the congestion.

Doomdream
Enthusiast - Level 2

From my understanding is as I was told where the connection is coming from is full and that they would only be able to upgrade the hub to be able to change the issues. As well they won't fix the issue if my area is under the upgrading to fios. But the issue is at what point will they upgrade so we don't have issues when trying to do something. Will this upgrade be within this year or be the next 100 years as they keep telling me when I call give it 2 months and you should be able to upgrade. Thats my only issue plus the area I live in its either verizon internet or satalite net which is really bad. So in some terms they have me stuck in a corner with no way to escape.

0 Likes