High speed internet
Sastro08731

Spent an hour and a half last night with a tech. My router has the power and DSL light on, but not the internet light. When I tried to connect to the internet, I get a 'no connection available.' The tech rep suggested I change my Ethernet card and then call back to set up some sort of connection - which I never had to do with ANY computer. I right-click on the bottom of my computer, go to network, and select the network I want to connect to, which works anywhere, whether I'm connecting to my home internet or wi-fi at the library.

I tried connecting a second laptop to my home internet and guess what? Got a 'no connection available' message. Either TWO unrelated Ethernet cards need to be replaced, or there's something wrong with my connection. Indeed, Verizon's own page on no internet light means "Light is off: There is no power or connection between your router and Verizon Online."

We have electricity. We have phone. We reset the router with the tech numerous times. We are disgusted with Verizon; the rep wouldn't put in for a repair request or a new router, insisting that I change my Ethernet card first.

I have a call into the customer escalation line, or whatever it's called. We want this fixed ASAP. We've had problems with Verizon since the first day we got the service.

0 Likes
Re: High speed internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Internet light not being lit means the modem for some reason cannot establish a PPPoE or DHCP session with Verizon, meaning no IP address or route for the connection to work with. If what you have is something along the lines of a Westell 6100 or Westell 7500, or even the newer D-Link modems and you have NOT bridged the modems, the modem should be showing an Internet light.

Have you changed or updated your Verizon username and password recently? if you have, that may also affect your PPPoE login. If you tell us what modem you have from Verizon, we can help you update this in the modem should this be the case.

Away from that, if a full reset and re-configure of the modem (which the reps should be helping you with over the phone) does not bring the connection back up, it's most likely a network issue on their end either with the account or the physical network responsible for carrying the data.

0 Likes
Sastro08731

Neither changed nor updated my Verizon username nor password. I've had service for less than 2 months. The internet worked fine that (Wednesday) morning, came home late at night from a long day to find out I had no internet but phone.

I have the Actiontec GT784WNV router for high speed internet.

They had me reset the modem - pushing the reset button in back, turning it off and on, to no avail. They had me type in the address of the modem (I presume) and try to go in as admin, but that didn't work as well.

Again, their solution was to blame my computer, saying I needed to reconfigure my Ethernet card. I have a bit more free time tomorrow, so I'm leaving the customer escalation number an alternate phone where I can be reached.

0 Likes
Sastro08731

Verizon called me three times yesterday in the space of three hours - 10:19 a.m. 11:20 a.m. and 12:22 p.m. I picked up on one of the calls but there was no one on the other end. The other two times, no message was left. Seriously, Verizon?

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

There is a simple test you can do to see whether or not your ethernet connection to the router works. 

Crank up your browser, ignore any errors about not connecting, and enter the following URL:  http://dslrouter/ 

If it brings up the main screen for the router's control panel, it means that your router is one of the ones offered by Verizon, that the router is up and running, and that your ethernet connection to the router is at least functioning.  That should almost rule out replacing the ethernet card.  It should also tell you the status of your broadband connection, which is the same info your green "Internet" light gives you.

If it doesn't bring this up,  perhaps the the ethernet card or the ethernet cable are not working, or the router is not working, or the router is not on the list of ones that respond to this URL. 

Sastro08731

I don't use an Ethernet cable and the fact that another laptop can't connect either makes me suspicious that TWO Ethernet cards suddenly went bad. I'll print out what you said and try it.

0 Likes
Sastro08731

That didn't work.

I wound up calling Verizon tech support AGAIN who told me that it was listed as having been solved - which it was certainly not! After two router resets, though, the reset finally took and I now have internet service.

THANK YOU VERIZON FOR YOUR SPECTACULAR CUSTOMER SERVICE, TELLING ME I NEEDED A NEW ETHERNET CARD WHEN I DIDN'T, AND LISTING THE PROBLEM AS BEING SOLVED. YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST, EVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes