Hooking Up AirPort Express
carl--s

In the past, I've been able to use my AirPort Express with my DSL connection with Verizon, as well as others I've been able to sniff out (sometimes my DSL cut out in high winds and rain...outdoor wiring  Man Indifferent *shrug*)

Anyway, last week I started to notice the connection was stalling. The signal to and from the AirPort was fine, signal strong, but the line out to the NID was cutting out.

I spoke to tech support, and was assured that my modem, a ten year old dinosaur, was the problem. I got a new modem (I'm not at home so I can't tell you the precise details at the moment). I hooked it up and was walked thru the set up.

So on Ethernet I'm fine. When I try to plug it into my AirPort, I get an intermittment signal, maybe every 30 seconds or so it cuts out for a moment, then comes back.

I doubt it's a signal problem from the AirPort, since that has been working fine up to the exchange of modems. I have no other new electronic equipment except the new modem, which is situated a good three feet from the AirPort. I've made sure the settings for the connection are accurate, and can connect up with other signals fine with it.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Hooking Up AirPort Express
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Is this AirPort Express a router?

#2 What is current brand and model of your modem?

0 Likes
carl--s

If by router, you mean is more than one computer accessing it, it's intended to be so and has worked as such in the past, however my desktop is the only one currently trying to access it and it's still dropping the signal frequently. 

THe modem is Westell model 6100g. I've tried moving it further from the Airport (it's now about four feet away) and things have not improved. I'm assuming it's not an interference issue unless there's some minimum distance I need to be. 

Further, the connection is fine when I'm plugged into the Ethernet port on my desktop but when I move to the Airport (yes, I do a computer shut down, modem shut off before I swap connections) the signal degrades.

I still have my old dinosaur modem. I'm going to reconnect that and see if the Airport issue arises with that. If not, I'll know it's the new modem. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have not already, please follow the info at

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

0 Likes