How do I open ports 53 UDP and 80 TCP on the Verizon security firewall and the Virus protection????
Urgamoth1967
Enthusiast - Level 1

I really need some help.  I am trying to do some file sharing, and allot people access to my computer files, and this is done thru a certain pokemon program that uses ports 53 UDP & 80 TCP.  I set up a static IP, and forwarded the ports on the router correctly, but when I test the connection, it does not get passed the router, so I figure the security programs you guys use are blocking these ports on my PC.

How do I open/enable these to share with my community?????  Any and all help you can provide is most appreciated.

Re: How do I open ports 53 UDP and 80 TCP on the Verizon security firewall and the Virus protection?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
I have never seen the Verizon Internet Security Firewall so I can't help you there other than to make sure the program you want to allow port access to is permitted in the firewall in Program Control. Otherwise, make sure your modem's Firewall is not set to High, as that will ignore any port forwarding you have done.
Re: How do I open ports 53 UDP and 80 TCP on the Verizon security firewall and the Virus protection?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Firstly, I would advise you to read your terms of service -- specifically the section prohibiting the installation and operation of a "server" of any type on a residential service offering.

With respect to ports 53 and 80, there have been numerous reports -- specifically as they relate to port 80 -- that Verizon has been blocking inbound traffic to this port and several others to block the inappropriate (and often virus/malware related) access to these services.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Port 80 is wide open here on Residential DSL. Been wide open for over a year now. Port 53 is used for DNS services.

Last I checked, Verizon doesn't heavily enforce their No Servers clause of the TOS. I run the occasional game server + HTTP stats server (for games) on my DSL connection for buddies of mine to play on (Come on, no local peering and it's the only way to get 10ms to each other on the same ISP short of finding a place to set up a LAN and hauling our desktops out, which these days is very hard to do) and while it can barely handle even 3 players, I have never heard a peep from Verizon. Anyone who uses a Game console I'm sure has also started up a server by nature of game consoles, and anyone using P2P streaming for sure has set up a "Server" without knowing it. I think that clause is loosely tied to HTTP servers, in the case that they are making money off of it or is trafficked/promoting DDoS attacks on the network. Yet again, I didn't write the ToS but it sounds like the OP might be setting up something HTTP-related.

To the part about no servers, I do not run them enough to justify paying $60 a month to rent a Dedicated server or VPS/Business DSL just to play for only a few hours out of a month. Nearest location of peering would be in NYC which adds latency anyways which we don't need any more of.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

My point simply is that the TOS state this and the terms and conditions for using the forums say you can't tell people how to violate the TOS.   As described by the OP, both of these would violate those terms.   What you choose to do and whether Vz chooses to enforces those terms is another topic of discussion altogether.

As for the port 80 issue, there's quite a few threads which indicate that port 80 inbound has indeed been blocked like port 25 in some locations -- but there are also others which indicate they are not experiencing it.  So, it could simply be that you live in an area where the block doesn't exist while the OP does.  

The difference between a gaming peering point and a server is the transient nature of the traffic.  The TOS is clearly after those hosting a web server or other permanent offering.   As for file sharing -- well, I suspect that would fall into TOS category.  Incidental personal use for things like remote access to your machines, etc. -- again I suspect this is not the target of the TOS.  But, YMMV, each person needs to read the TOS and make their own judgement.

0 Likes