How do I rename my DSL Modem and reset Password ?
alaskagrrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, using a Macintosh with all the latest updates installed....

How do I reset the router wireless name and password ? 

When the installer was here I chose characters I did not want, pressured me to choose a network name looks like a password, and made me choose my password as my phone number.  Ever try to communicate a phone number ?  There's a reason they call it a password !

Also tried to use the absolutely useless "Agent" software -- it's lame and slow on the Macintosh and does not work.  The icons don't even load ! 

Tried to use the instructions that follow the "http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/mynetwork_status.asp" page but the Router won't let me in.  Tried the unwanted network/password combination that allows network login but no joy.  Tried to use "admin" as a network /password but it didn't work either.

I would like to simply rename my network and reset the password. 

Wishing I bough an Airport Express !!!

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I rename my DSL Modem and reset Password ?
alaskagrrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the help, but I bought an Airport Express and hooked it up to the ethernet.  All my troubles have vanished and it only took ten minutes.

I don't know how anyone can suffer a PC with all the peripherals trouble !

I'll mark this as ANSWERED so someone can get paid even though I solved it myself.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the model of that Westell?

0 Likes
alaskagrrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a Westell A90-750015-07

Sorry for the angst in the original post, we had a tough startup with Verizon DSL.  Cut off our dial tone during install for 24 hours, with three elderly people (one terminal) in a rural area without cell coverage, during the heat wave. 

Would have taken through the weekend to fix, and we had the shake the tree pretty hard to get them to believe us.  Result is my original post....

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Go to http://www.westell.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=838&arcsection=support

#2 Go get the Documentation.

Default user name is admin. The default password is password.

#3 As need be, press and hold the reset switch as you turn off and turn on the power to the modem combo.

#4 Reconfigure the modem combo to get back online.

#5 Reconfigure the wireless settings, to what you want them to be.

0 Likes
alaskagrrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gosh, that looks so easy in type -- is it as easy to accomplish ?  Saying that I have to go 'offline' means I might have much bigger troubles if I can't get it 'back online' and resorting to telephone tech help.

Can I just add an Airport Express hardwired by ethernet downstream of this modem and just forget the original wireless hardware/network in favor of the Apple Device ? 

This action sounds worrysome to such a non-computer person as myself -- not to mention the the manual I downloaded for it is 186 pages long !!!  The Apple Express manual is only 46 pages long and the size of a CD wrapper !  Mac is just waaay more easy for me in comparison and I'd have my printer and music playing by now and not be worrying about "falling offline". 

So:  can I 'daisy chain' new Mac equipment and bail out on the Windows Teck completely ?

(sorta like I did ten years ago...)

Nikki

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alaskagrrl wrote:

Gosh, that looks so easy in type -- is it as easy to accomplish ?  Saying that I have to go 'offline' means I might have much bigger troubles if I can't get it 'back online' and resorting to telephone tech help.

Can I just add an Airport Express hardwired by ethernet downstream of this modem and just forget the original wireless hardware/network in favor of the Apple Device ? 

Hmm, ok in that case (new directions).

#1 Go to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 Read the directions. As need be, download / save the directions to your hard drive.

#3 Reset the modem combo, to the default.

#4 Follow the info in the FAQ, despite it's title.

0 Likes
RetiredPro
Enthusiast - Level 3

My router/modem is different from yours, and my PC uses windows.   The following might work anyway.

go to url  http://dslrouter 

Your router should bring up its home screen.  If you want to change the administrative username and password, navigate to "change password".  When it asks you for the old username and password before letting you in,  try one of two choices:

user:  "admin" and password:  "password".  Or try your verizon "userid" and matching password that gets you on the internet.

If, on the other hand you need to change the userid and password the reouter/modem uses to get on the internet, only change that in the modem if the modem currently cannot get on the internet.  If it can get on the internet,  use the following technique instead.

If you are trying to change the name and password that get you on the internet, here's my advice:  Don't try to change the username to access the internet.  sorry you chose a bad name.  Log into the internet,  and then into "Verizon Central"  change your password in there.  This change should propagate to your principal email account,  to your login access via DSL to the internet, and also to the username password your router/modem uses to get onto the internet. 

YMMV.  Good luck.

alaskagrrl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the help, but I bought an Airport Express and hooked it up to the ethernet.  All my troubles have vanished and it only took ten minutes.

I don't know how anyone can suffer a PC with all the peripherals trouble !

I'll mark this as ANSWERED so someone can get paid even though I solved it myself.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

There is no "pay" for accepted solutions. What they do is help others searching for solutions to similar problems. It makes the information much easier to find.

0 Likes