How do I set up a second connection/router?
mixedup
Enthusiast - Level 1

First, let me say Verizon tech support is horrible. They read from their knowledge base script and had a hard time fielding questions outside of that script.

Now, on to my question... Can I hook up a second router to my DSL connection?

Here's the situation:  I have a new blueray player with a lan port in another room of the house. It's 2 floors away from my dsl router (verizon) where my computers are. I really can't run a lan cable from the router through two floors just to hook it up to the router. But there is a dsl phone jack near the blueray player.

Is it possible with dsl to hook up another router at the phone jack near the blueray player? If not, is there another solution besides running 40 feet of cable through 2 floors of the house (Not going to happen.)?

Thanks for any help

0 Likes
Re: How do I set up a second connection/router?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

no, you wont be able to run another router on the same line.  You can connect two routers together but not on the same line.

since running a line to the BluRay is too difficult. You may want to look into Ethernet over power. it may be a good compromise. Just google  "Ethernet over Power"

Re: How do I set up a second connection/router?
Bowbridge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the same boat.  DId the live chat thing a few minutes ago and the guy said it would be best to go wireless.  I asked if I could hook another Westell 2110 modem into the phone jack in the far room, but he said you couldn't connect two modems into the same phone line.  I have the Powerline AV Netgear unit; but need another adapter before I can try that.