How to Bridge Actiontec GT704WGB modem/router combo so that I can connect external wireless router?
ap2010
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having a hard time to bridge the actiontec GT704WGB

On verizon site there are instructions but they are only for GT704WG  without the B. B I beleive is a  more latest modem/router combo.

Can anyone please help me guiding on how to setup the actiontech GT704WGB to Bridge mode so that i can connect external router to it?

I would really appreciate a prompt response.

Thanks

Alish

Re: How to Bridge Actiontec GT704WGB modem/router combo so that I can connect external wireless rout
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since it's a router with an ethernet switch and wireless, I don't know that you can.

It really replaces your other router.    Once scenario you may want to consider would be to disable the wireless on the Verizon router, give your "WAN" connection on your router a static IP on the Verizon router's network (192.168.1.2 for instance, or use a static DHCP reservation on the Verizon router) and then list your router's now static WAN side address as the "DMZ host" on the Verizon router.

This technically results in a double NAT situation, but because you've placed your router's WAN address in the DMZ on the Verizon router, all packets will be delivered in/out of the Verizon router to your router allowing you to essentially get a very similar experience to what you are trying to accomplish with "bridged" mode.

Perhaps if you could describe in more detail why you need or want to keep your existing router in the mix, someone here can recommend some alternate configurations as well that you might find acceptable.

Re: How to Bridge Actiontec GT704WGB modem/router combo so that I can connect external wireless rout
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2
jpd6
Enthusiast - Level 1

@ravioli wrote:

Since it's a router with an ethernet switch and wireless, I don't know that you can.

It really replaces your other router.    Once scenario you may want to consider would be to disable the wireless on the Verizon router, give your "WAN" connection on your router a static IP on the Verizon router's network (192.168.1.2 for instance, or use a static DHCP reservation on the Verizon router) and then list your router's now static WAN side address as the "DMZ host" on the Verizon router.

This technically results in a double NAT situation, but because you've placed your router's WAN address in the DMZ on the Verizon router, all packets will be delivered in/out of the Verizon router to your router allowing you to essentially get a very similar experience to what you are trying to accomplish with "bridged" mode.

Perhaps if you could describe in more detail why you need or want to keep your existing router in the mix, someone here can recommend some alternate configurations as well that you might find acceptable.

I have tried this and it does not work. I tried turning off the nat and turn on the firewall to lowest level. Lost all internet if nat is off at all. I do not know why the other person was trying to do this, in my case I have a linksys wrt54gs that directly supports dyndns.org which in my situtation I need as I am connecting to an OS/2 box for a telent server and vmodem. I can connect internally to the server using the 192.168.1.x number, but it will not pass through the actiontech even in dmz mode. In my case

I am about to give up on the actiontech and see if they have a adsl modem that CAN bridge. Even tried both routers as dmz, no joy. I need a modem I can bridge.

CentralCity

Disable wireless on the GT704WGB.

Disable DHCP on the 3rd party router. Set its IP address to 192.168.1.2 and setup the wireless on it. Plug the ethernet cable from one of the four ports of the GT704WGB into one of the four ports on the router. DO NOT plug into the WAN port on the router.

You GT704WGB will provide DHCP and the 3rd party router will act as a switch and a wireless access point.

0 Likes
Praetorius
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to put the GT704WGB into bridge mode so that it acts only as a DSL modem. I have a new high end router behind the GR704WGB and want to limit the delay  through this device. I found the following post that seems to point to a way to set the router in bridge mode. I don't know of a way to verify that it is in fact in bridge. I suspect that it is not because if I turn off NAT then I lose my internet connection.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,25002073?hilite=gt704wgb

I have followed these instructions and turned off WIFI, DHCP, turned off the system log, and put the new router in the DMZ. I can't be certain that this minimizes the latency through the GT704WGB. If anyone knows how to determine this let me know. I have run speed tests using dslreports.com and get between 4mb/s and 6 mb/s throughput. Not too bad for DSL.