How to enable WPS on Westell 327W
jmwolff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know I need to go into the router http://192.168.1.1/ but I have no idea what to do once I get there.  I bought Netgear WNCE2001 Universal Wifi Internet adapter to connect my direct tv receiver to the internet...but I don't see how to enable the WPS

Thanks

Julie

Re: How to enable WPS on Westell 327W
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
The 327w doesn't have support for WPS, unfortunately. You'll need to configure your adapter manually, if possible or find another router that supports WPS if it's absolutely required.
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Do you really need WPS?  Or are you just trying to get your direct TV wirelessly linked to the internet?

When you get to the 327W command prompt, is the screen style blue-and-white or is it red-and-black?

This will determine your next step.

jmwolff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

it doesn't support WPS?  Why does it say it does in the product specs?  That I looked into several times and my understanding was that it did and I just had to go into the router to enable it. 

I am not sure where the "command prompt" screen is.  Is it when I log into http://192.168.1.1?

I am trying to get my direct TV wirelessly linked to the internet using the adapter.

RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

@jmwolff1 wrote:

it doesn't support WPS?  Why does it say it does in the product specs?  That I looked into several times and my understanding was that it did and I just had to go into the router to enable it. 

I am not sure where the "command prompt" screen is.  Is it when I log into http://192.168.1.1?

I am trying to get my direct TV wirelessly linked to the internet using the adapter.

When you go to 192.168.1.1 do you see a blue-and-white web page, or do you see a red-and-black web page?

If you see a blue-and-white web page, then the 327W is running the original firmware that came from Westell.  If you see a red-and-black web page, then the 327W is running the newer firmware that Verizon made available a few years ago.

There are some wireless devices that will not work when communicating with the blue-and-white firmware.  I had a 327W and a Sony blu-ray player that would not talk to each other no way no how, until I downloaded and installed the red-and-black firmware.  Then the routine set-up worked.  There are other wireless devices that communicate just fine with a 327W, no matter which version of the firmware it's running.

I can't tell you whether you need to update the firmware in the 327W or not, but I hope the above helps. 

About six months after I updated the 327W firmware, the 327W bit the dust.  I ended up getting a newer 7500 from Verizon, for less than $3.00 a month.

If it were up to me, I would call verizon and ask them if the can replace the old 327W with a 6100G or a 7500, depending on my needs.  Failing in that, I would go down to a store and buy a server end wireless adaptor that plugs into the 327W, and set one of the two devices to bridge mode.  I've never done that, so I'll let others tell you how.  I don't like that solution, because it involves one more box.  I like to keep things as simple as possible, but not simpler than that.

Once you have working hardware and firmware, setting up the wireless service is fairly intuitive, provided you understand the basics of what is going on.  The complexities come into play when you try to set your configuration to make your wireless network somewhat secure.  Depending on your location, this may be necessary to keep people from accessing your local files via a wirless LAN connection. 

If I can find it, I'll try to get back to you with the location of a website that explains how to use the interface you get to when you go to 192.168.1.1.  By the way, if you go to http://dslrouter you should get to the same screen.  I find that easier to remember than the numbers.

jmwolff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So its a red and black "verizon page" so I thinkg that means I have the new.

0 Likes