I have a question about my DSL Turbo Package 7.1/768
derfybear

Hey, I was wondering if my DSL speed is normal at this time.

My WireSpeed Data Gateway says 6624 KBits/Sec by 864 KBits/Sec, so I'm getting around 600-700 KB download speeds.

But if it's 7.1, shouldn't it be closer to 7100 KBits/Sec or 750-900 KB download speeds, sorry my math off.

When I had the 3Mbps/768 KBits, I had around 3380 KBits speeds, or around 390 KB download speeds.

0 Likes
Re: I have a question about my DSL Turbo Package 7.1/768
derfybear

Sorry, I don't know how to edit my post.

Transceiver Revision: 4.2.0.11  

Vendor ID Code:        4  

Line Mode:               G.DMT Mode  

Data Path:               Interleaved  

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)    6624                        864

Margin (dB) 6.0 12.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 26.0 16.0

Transmit Power (dBm) 19.7 11.9

0 Likes
Re: I have a question about my DSL Turbo Package 7.1/768
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

Basically your DSL modem is telling you the quality of the copper pair between your house and CO isn't good enough to get you the full downlink speed. It has only been able to negotiate  6624kbps as the downlink speed,

it was able to negotiate 864kbps  on the uplink (Verizon DSL will try to negotiate a slightly better speed on the link then they advertise), so 864kbps will be able to provide somewhat better than 768kbps on the uplink.

So unless you can relocate your house closer to the CO or convince Verizon to replace your copper pair, you

really have only two choices:

Live with it, 

Get FiOS. FiOS is an all or nothing service. It either pretty much delivers rated speed, or it delivers essentially nothing.

I used to have DSL, and I could never get rated speed on the downlink, the fact that the copper pair was probably 60 years old no doubt had something to do with it. In addition, I'd lose 500+KBPS when it was raining, and if I could hear thunder, my DSL was down. FiOS became available, and my 20/5 serivce tests out as about 19.3/5.7 mbps. Close enough as far as I am concerned. (My downstream attenuation was 60-61db), and transmit power was maxed out.