Re: I lose Internet connection EVERY NIGHT!
sawdust4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Smith6612, I really don't know how to go about trouble shooting the Westell, although I'd like to.  I've been to the site http://192.168.1.1 but I have no idea what the settings mean to me so I don't mess with them.  Understanding the level of my ignorance and the difficulty getting in contact with Verizon support, I avoid doing things that could negatively affect my internet connection.  If you think it will be beneficial for me to check things, I'm more than happy to give it a go.  Hopefully it will also help others.  If you're willing to help, I'm willing to give it a try.

Let me know what info you need.  As for house wiring, we built the house seven years ago and all phone lines in the hoome are run in an RG6 CAT 5 quad cable.  All those cables meet in a Leviton structured wiring panel where all phone and coax cables meet from the street. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alrighty. I'm running on the assumption that things are fine in the house wit that given. So anyways, log into the modem at http://192.168.1.1/ and choose System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then click Transceiver Statistics. Copy and pastw what you see there into a post. Additionally, go back to the Advanced Monitors section and visit the System Logging section. Choose the "All" log, and copy and paste what you see there to a post.

If you need a Username and Password, try:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

NetSec
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon's DSL system has been flaky at best for the last 8 days.  Verizon's Support has been following the script religiously, but still without resolution.  The interesting part here, is that I have been monitoring the logs.  I told them several times that the Westell  logs state (in the 100 counts) that the DNS connections are being refused.  Many times they will show "timed out", but over the last week they have been mostly refused.

I have two modems here and was able to swapped them out, and also reset them both and still the same errors remained.

I believe Verizon has maxed out its capacity to support their clients now.  These delays you are experiencing will not be fixed with a reset or reconfiguration of your modem.  I have had my the modem over 4 years without any of the issues I've experienced over the past week.

Verizon needs to get this issue fixed before people start moving back to Comcrap.

0 Likes
sawdust4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, here you go.  I copied everything and it's quite lengthy.

0 Likes
sawdust4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Lets try again.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision

A2pB020b3.d20h

Vendor ID Code

4D54

Line Mode

ADSL_2plus

Data Path

FAST

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path

Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)

Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Transmit Power (dBm)

0 Likes
sawdust4
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can't post what's in the all log.  Maybe due to size, I dunno.  It's about 50 pages long when copied to word.

0 Likes
NetSec
Enthusiast - Level 2

Attach the common thread from the logs.  I am seeing what looks like saturation on the network:

SUN MAR 06 20:05:28 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 153)

SUN MAR 06 20:05:15 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 150)

SUN MAR 06 20:05:09 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 147)

SUN MAR 06 20:05:05 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 144)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:49 2011
CWMP: Final Http Return Code = 0

CWMP: Inform (0). The following events are true: 4 VALUE CHANGE

CWMP: TCP Connected, SSL Connection Succeeded, Auth Type = None

SUN MAR 06 20:04:35 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 141)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:28 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 138)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:09 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 135)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:08 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 132)

SUN MAR 06 20:04:06 2011
LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 129)

0 Likes
GOK1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine is usually around 2pm Pacific Time.  A few techs came out and with numerous phone calls to the local help office.  Got my DSLAM changed, got the splitter, phone line to the box changed, booster on line from box to home, phone line changed from box to Verizon central.  Numerous hours spent trying to resolve the problem but couldn't get any tech to check or test the line coming from the pole to the NID box.  After all this I still get drop between 2-6pm and every reconnect lowers the sync speed.  Sync speed and noise margin increases at it approach the time from 9pm to about 9am in the morning.  No one was able to figure out what cause this problem.  The heat seems to be affecting the problem.  Well, at least I have a couple of nice techs at the local office to help out over the phone by changing me to less congested circuit from time to time and that does help.  Try to find a local office tech, they are much more helpful.  Good Luck!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NetSec wrote:

Verizon's DSL system has been flaky at best for the last 8 days.  Verizon's Support has been following the script religiously, but still without resolution.  The interesting part here, is that I have been monitoring the logs.  I told them several times that the Westell  logs state (in the 100 counts) that the DNS connections are being refused.  Many times they will show "timed out", but over the last week they have been mostly refused.

I have two modems here and was able to swapped them out, and also reset them both and still the same errors remained.

I believe Verizon has maxed out its capacity to support their clients now.  These delays you are experiencing will not be fixed with a reset or reconfiguration of your modem.  I have had my the modem over 4 years without any of the issues I've experienced over the past week.

Verizon needs to get this issue fixed before people start moving back to Comcrap.

Try changing your DNS servers from the Verizon servers to some public servers. You can use one of the following:

A "Connection Refused" log often indicates a Firewall blocking the request or a piece of software is over capacity and is refusing additional connections. This isn't a modem issue since the DNS Proxy on the modem is working, it is just unable to get anywhere.

@sawdust wrote:

Lets try again.

-snip-

Your statistics seem fine at the moment. Post up your modem logs for us to see after the next connection drop. You can use www.pastebin.com to provide the complete log to me.

0 Likes
blacknblue2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem and it started on 9/15/11.  I won't call India any more.

Tech guy was here yesterday, did some things to tidy up the NID but he was here when I had a connection.  Yesterday the connection came on around 11:30AM and I had a fairly good connection until 8:15PM.  I took the dog out, it started to rain, came back in and the net connection was doing its nasty stuff.  The modem could not grab a solid connection.  I've tried all three of my modems and the same thing happens.

Oddly today the connection was solid at 12:PM and has been since then.  The sun is out a bit, there is no rain and I have a connection.  

The tech guy left yesterday saying that he doubts if anything he did will fix the problem and they need to get a bucket truck out and do some line changing.  No KIDDING.  I've been saying that for all the years about how weloose a connection during rain storms.

So as I have stated on other threads, VZ has until Thursday afternoon to fix it.  On Friday morning I have an appointment with Xfinity to reconnect the coaxial line into my computer room.  It will cost me money and once I invest $$$ I will be changing to Xfinity (Comcrap as you call them).  

On one of the threads on this forum someone posted links to articles at DSLReports and those articles were very telling.  If you are on copper (which I am) we are the unwanted stepchild.  The wanted child, the one that VZ is putting money into is FIOS.  FISO is getting the new equipment, maintenance, etc., while the copper are left limping on the old Cisco DSLAM stuff and if there aren't enough of them....tough!  

THe "ONLY" reason to say is price point, it is not speed or realiability.  

Better hit post before I loose the connection.