I want just a simple modem....no router no firewall....
Fedupw

Is that possible with Verizon service?  I am tired of having to reconfigure my modem every time there is a power outage or a loss in connection.  I have the 6100 and it is a piece of CRAP!  I am fed up with this and looking for a simple modem with no added functionalilty.  If I want a firewall and wireless functionality, I WILL USE MY **bleep** NETGEAR ROUTER. 

Any help? 

0 Likes
Re: I want just a simple modem....no router no firewall....
RamblingSid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a 6100g which is brand new from Verizon, Tech Support said my previous 6100 was shot.  I think the **bleep** thing was dropping my connection every  now and again, made d/l'ing a pain in the butt.  In another thread I found out how to bridge the modem, which makes it only a device to access the internet.  I have an Apple Airport Extreme base station which now does all the firewall/logging in etc.... Since bridging the modem it seems to have stablized the connection.  FYI when I was in the set up for the modem I noticed that the firewall was not on by default, although TraceRoute app said I was double Nat'd.  Anyhoooo fairly happy now with it all.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

evern with bridging the modem he may have to reconfigure it or re-bridge it, if a factory reset is ever done, which seems is the first thing vz tech support tells you to do when you call them

the Westell 2100's and the Westell 6110 are bridge modems.   I know the 6110 is the 2100 is older but I am pretty sure that was the bridge model.  

0 Likes
digdug
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is what I use for my VZ DSL. No issues.

http://www.zoom.com/graphics/datasheets/adsl/5615_1008.pdf