Installing new Linksys E3000 router on DSL with static IP
jamesde1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm going to install Linksys E3000 on my network. I currenty have  Westell A90-750015-07 as the wireless router.

Verizon support sent me this instructions:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsThree/123756.htm

I just wanted to make sure that I don't need anything else. Also I've got a static IP, does this changes anything?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Installing new Linksys E3000 router on DSL with static IP
jamesde1
Enthusiast - Level 2

well it seems that one hand in Verizon doens't know about the other hand at all.

The instructions on Verizon site are MISLEADING, and verizon technical support setup the modem differently. after a 45 minutes conference call with verizon and linksys I've got to the following:

1. The modes has to be in Bridge/bridge mode, NOT routed bridge mode as they say in the instructions.

2. the Router should be defined to a different IP from the mode. the modem is 192.168.1.1. so setup the router to 10.10.10.1 for exmample.

3. you will need some tweaking with the MAC Clone address, but it's not clear if this is a necessary step.

Internet connection works now.

View solution in original post

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

The information you recieved from Verizon is correct. The only configuration needed from your router is to setup the static ip addresses there. The modem after following the link instructions will only be a modem after that. the rest is all up to your router.

jamesde1
Enthusiast - Level 2

You've got me confused for one thing. let me make sure I understand correcly: all the static IP setting goes in the new router only?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jamesde wrote:

You've got me confused for one thing. let me make sure I understand correcly: all the static IP setting goes in the new router only?

That is correct.

However, I am not sure if Verizon's directionsare correct.

If their directons don't work, follow these directions instead.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

@jamesde wrote:

That is correct. The modem will not only be used for DSL signal purposes. All your networking would be controled and managed by your new router.

jamesde1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some corrections:

the link for the settings for westell 7500 is :

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/networking/setup/versalink7500/123709.htm

and another important things is that the default IP address of the Westell and the default IP address of the Linksys are the same:  192.168.1.1

I've changed the address on the Linksys to 192.168.10.1

but still no success in connecting the router and getting it to works. Very frustrating. Can't I get a modem with LESS settings from Verizon? I don't need this router/modem combo anyway and configuring it just wastes for either option just wastes time.

the steps I've taken:

1. configuring the modem as verizon instructions.

2. connecting the router and using cisco connect software - software failed to automatically detect settings.

3. manually edited setting of the static IP and changed the router IP address - no connection

4. tried the clone mac address from the modem to the router - no connection.

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

@jamesde wrote:

Some corrections:

the link for the settings for westell 7500 is :

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/networking/setup/versalink7500/123709.htm

and another important things is that the default IP address of the Westell and the default IP address of the Linksys are the same:  192.168.1.1

I've changed the address on the Linksys to 192.168.10.1

but still no success in connecting the router and getting it to works. Very frustrating. Can't I get a modem with LESS settings from Verizon? I don't need this router/modem combo anyway and configuring it just wastes for either option just wastes time.

the steps I've taken:

1. configuring the modem as verizon instructions.

2. connecting the router and using cisco connect software - software failed to automatically detect settings.

3. manually edited setting of the static IP and changed the router IP address - no connection

4. tried the clone mac address from the modem to the router - no connection.

1. configuring the modem as verizon instructions.This should make the westell just a modem. no need to change lan ip addresses.

2. connecting the router and using cisco connect software - software failed to automatically detect settings. I have never been able to use the CDs that come with the router. It's better to manually setup the router anyway.

3. manually edited setting of the static IP and changed the router IP address - no connection Try to use the default settings of the router, but change the "INTERNET CONNECTION TYPE" to "Static IP". That should be the only change you need to make in the router for basic internet access. If this does not work, then connect one PC direct to the modem and set the Static information on the PC. If you can connect, then the Westell is setup correct and your Static IP is working. You need to troubleshoot the Linksys. 

4. tried the clone mac address from the modem to the router - no connection. You do not need to clone the MAC Address

Hope this helps

jamesde1
Enthusiast - Level 2

well it seems that one hand in Verizon doens't know about the other hand at all.

The instructions on Verizon site are MISLEADING, and verizon technical support setup the modem differently. after a 45 minutes conference call with verizon and linksys I've got to the following:

1. The modes has to be in Bridge/bridge mode, NOT routed bridge mode as they say in the instructions.

2. the Router should be defined to a different IP from the mode. the modem is 192.168.1.1. so setup the router to 10.10.10.1 for exmample.

3. you will need some tweaking with the MAC Clone address, but it's not clear if this is a necessary step.

Internet connection works now.

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

You did not need to change the linksys ip address. just need to turn off the DHCP/DNS functions of the DSL modem. Below you can navigate and changed the dropdowns to Disabled and No DNS Server.

My Network//Network Connection//Network (Home/Office)//Settings//IP Address Distribution: Disabled

My Network//Network Connection//Network (Home/Office)//Settings//DNS Server: No DNS Server