Switch Account

Installing wireless router, router works fine but can't configure the modem

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Installing wireless router, router works fine but can't configure the modem

Message 1 of 4
(8,892 Views)

I'm configuring a wireless network for my parents, and I can't seem to get it set up right on my parents desktop with Windows XP SP2.  

I bought a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GT) to set up a home network, and set that up quickly. It's not having any problems, but I can't set the modem into bridge mode. I'm connecting to DSL using a Westell Wirespeed modem (C90-36R516-01) that is pretty old, but I don't see why there is a problem. I went to the IP 192.168.1.1 in my browser while connected to only the modem to configure it, but the server always times out. When I plug in the router, it goes easily to the Linksys' configuration panel.

The only thing I can think of it that I configured the router before switching to bridge mode.

I tried getting around this problem by configuring the router to dial Verizon automatically using PPoE, but I don't know if it's actually working correctly, and it still asks me to dial up when I start Firefox. Other computers on the network see the router, but don't connect to the internet.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Installing wireless router, router works fine but can't configure the modem

Message 2 of 4
(8,873 Views)
The modem you are talking about is a DSL modem only, you do not have to bridge it. Just plug it in to your router and set up the router to authenticate.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(8,859 Views)
One thing you should do is get rid of that Westell modem from verizon.  Its junk.  I replaced it with a DLink DSL modem and internet is faster.  Not that this suggestion solves your problem.
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 4
(8,845 Views)
I've had that modem for 7 years and it's still going strong. It's perfect because it is just a modem so you can use the router of your choice.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.